1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How did they do it...?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've just seen a snippet on ITV News Anglia showing 2 steeplejacks on Norwich Cathedral spire. The clip clearly showed their ropes secured around the very top of the spire just below the weather vane, and this has left me wondering how they got their ropes there safely, and securely. There was no scaffolding shown in the clip I saw. Puzzled... (And I did do one rock-climb many decades ago.)

2. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Bow and arrow with a string attached to pull the ropes up ?

3. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

neilt3 likes this.
  4. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks for the Fred Dibnah link - awesome!, and very scary. I watched both parts.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Is there a ladder attached to the spire, or inside it? Even if outside, it would be virtually impossible to see from the ground.
    I once had a guided tour of Salisbury cathedral, which included going to the level of the roof, and to the base of the spire. The spire was wood, with ladders inside it (you can look up into it).

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Pretty sure that the father and son team at Norwich were not using a ladder, but relying on ropes. The Norwich spire is much smaller than Dibnah's chimney in the documentary.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Back in my power station days I used to watch the steeplejacks climbing the 600' chimney stack to inspect the navigation lights. They did it similar to Fred. There were eyebolt holes all up the stack to which they would tie on their ladders. Looking up from the bottom was frightening.

I also saw them climbing the cooling towers the same way. Bearing in mind a cooling tower curves outwards as it reaches the top that was even worse. I've actually seen the steeplejacks walking around the top rim of the towers which must only be 12-18" wide. Total barnpots... :eek:

ascu75 likes this.
  8. Malcolm_Stewart

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Some multi-flue chimneys they inspect from the inside. Climbing 240 m or so up the inside of a stack must be differently ghastly to going up the outside.

11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

It looks like they emerge from a door near the top of the spire, which explains what I saw inside the spire from the top of the stonework at its base. Visitors were now allowed to go any higher than the highest point of the stonework, and that required using a narrow spiral staircase that some people on the tour refused to use.

13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I went up Salisbury over thirty years ago when I could walk being a roof tiler I was interested but it was a long time before my interest in photography so don’t have any snaps to remind meo_O