1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

how cheap?!!

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by steveplymouth, Dec 29, 2007.

1. steveplymouth

steveplymouth Well-Known Member

2. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

check the postage!

3. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Only £4.50, so still a 1gig card for under a fiver!

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

yes but 4.50 for each card...
    yes still still below a fiver but not exactly "fair" trading is it..

5. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Agreed, but still under fiver for each card, so what does it matter what percentage of cost is for card v delivery? If it was £4.50 for the card and 48p for delivery, would we be discussing it? They probably have it that way for VAT reasons.

6. Cheshire_Tony

Cheshire_Tony Well-Known Member

Though VAT is payable on P&P so, as far as I can see, it would make no difference, except of course to the perceived selling price. Is collection an option to the block who lives next door?

7. steveplymouth

steveplymouth Well-Known Member

when we were all buying them for £30 odd quid we still had the same £4.50 postage!

maybe they could bundle a dozen of them in to an envelope for the same £4.50 postage, then your on to a winner!

8. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

To be fair,as fabs says,a fiver for a 1gb card is ok.
    I have just paid a fiver for a Memorex 1gb SD from Morrissons
    [Morissons?,Morrisons?,Morisons?] and thought I had a good deal.

Nig. [Gin?] [Ign?] /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif :D :eek: :D

9. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Amazon marketplace sellers do like to load the postage costs. They have a cheapo price which gets attention, then you notice the postage cost at the checkout.

Not if you order from Amazon (not marketplace) and it's over £15. Plus other sites like play.com have free shipping too.

10. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

But a 1gig own brand SD card from Play.com is £5.49, so the free delivery doesn't really benefit there.

At the end of the day it's a 1gig card for £5 (Notice the card has now gone up to 50p!).

11. m1ks

m1ks Well-Known Member

Re: postage and such like

Like that well known online auction site it's a convenient method of not losing much if theres any problems, sellers in most respects are not obliged to offer a refund of the P&P should the card need to go back so if faulty for your £4.99 (arguments sake this is) you'd recive a refund of 0.49 less your postage return costs, (likely to be recorded for guaranteed receipt as well)
    So lets say outlay of £4.99
    return for £2.25? recorded
    receipt of .49
    so £7.24 - 0.49 = 6.75
    Still a bargain i'd say but not so much as a huge one now
    Caveat emptor as the saying says so, frankly I find unless Amazon TP sellers have something rare or hard to get they're not worth bothering with, stick to Play and other such reputable dealers or Amazon directly and specifically

A big one to watch on auction sites

12. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Re: postage and such like

I've dealt with Amazon TP sellers on many occasions and never had a problem. Because you are going via Amazon you have that additional security. I don't see the point in spending extra money just to avoid dealing with them.