1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How can you spot an amateur photographer?...

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by El_Sid, May 6, 2016.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think we usually say "beginner" not "amateur". There are newbies here who confuse the terms I know.

3. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

There are oldies who do the same

4. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

"Certain glories of nature, for example. have been all but abandoned to the indefatigable attentions of amateur camera buffs. The image-surfeited are likely to find sunsets corny; they now look, alas, too much like photographs." - On Photography by Susan Sontag.

Maybe a bit dated now, but still an interesting read :)

5. RovingMike

Seems quite appropriate to me.

6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Depends upon the situation? Lynn

[​IMG]

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Who honestly cares what the image-surfeited think? They'll find ANYTHING corny.

Bazarchie likes this.
  8. RovingMike

No, they recognise novelty when they see it as a blessed relief.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Patently they won't, by definition. If they're surfeited, they're clearly going to be unduly cynical about every image - that's simply what the word means, it certainly doesn't mean they've moved to a higher critical level, but that they're just not interested in ANY image any more because they've had enough. These are not people whose opinion should be sought out or even considered by photographers, again, by definition, because they really don't have anything useful to say - how can you if you're no longer interested in images?
    Usual Sontag nonsense. ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nick,

Sontag's "On Photography" makes me want to borrow from Dorothy Parker:

"This is not a book to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan and Benchista like this.
  11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

On a more general note, we're really back into cliche country, and how we react to them. Personally, I can live with looking at endless sunsets, or even Ashness Bridge shots, whereas just one more Craggy Old Man shot sends me off screaming, er, into the sunset... ;)
    I LIKE sunsets, they're one of the wonders of nature. Sure, 95% of sunset shots add nothing new, and that's 99.999999999% of my own ones, but sunsets themselves are just lovely, and sunset shots captured well are at least a reminder of that, even if they're not often great art. Whereas with COM, unless it's someone I know, they don't particularly interest me unless the context is special. Same goes for so many so-called "street" shots - just some person on the street that I've no particular interest in, doing nothing particularly interesting. And cats - I'm not a cat lover, so a cat pic has to be something very different for me. Obviously others feel entirely differently about all categories, which is perfectly reasonable - but I do get a bit worried when some of these feelings seem to get used as a put-down for others and their choice of subject. Everything's been done before, if you're personally surfeited by a particular type of image, then probably you don't have much valid to say about it beyond that, in all honesty.

12. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Too many photographers - too few ideas :(

13. RovingMike

Complete tosh. It means nothing of the sort. I can be surfeited with strawberries and welcome a stick of celery for a change. That's quite clearly the sense in which it was written.

14. mark 1

mark 1 Well-Known Member

don't laugh but I tried to rub those 2 birds off my monitor and then realised they were birds. I would do away with them cos as you see they bother me.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But if you're surfeited with images, you might equally well like a stick of celery. By definition, you won't welcome any more images, though. So tosh yourself, Mike.;)

16. RovingMike

She referred to "Certain glories of nature" not all of them. So double tosh with knobs on....

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yeah, but she referred to "the image-surfeited", NOT those surfeited by only certain images, so quadruple tosh and checkmate. ;)

18. AndySimpson

AndySimpson Well-Known Member

Ah! I just joined the forum and my plan was to go out to grab a sunset tonight! Shall I just log out now? :)

Stelsher likes this.
  19. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Also see
    How can you spot a pretentious amateur photographer?...

20. RovingMike

The image surfeited was in the same sentence as sunsets, which were not cited as only one example, therefore clearly defining the scope of the sentence overall to sunsets alone. QED, Rien ne va plus.