1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How can they possibly.........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 29, 2020.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

If one has a worry about apps, then it could be possible to use a second, probably older phone just for that sort of stuff. Won't work too well when out and about, but at home it will be fine if using WiFi.

It doesn't need a sim to receive email or access an app, and having no contacts or info on the phone means nothing to track

2. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Well said. They are just making life more difficult and awkward.

3. John King

My Samsung Android has most of the all singing and dancing features known to man, but I don't need them.
    For internet I use a computer, much easier to operate. I can actually see the keys and not need to put on my specs
    For photographs I have a selection of very good Nikons/lenses.
    For a Sat Nav I have both TomTom for my motorcycle and Garmin in the car (Normally correct). Failing that I can read a map!
    I do not use Facebook, any organisation that hosts offensive/abusive material of any sort has no place in my life.
    Twitter is for twits,
    Whats App - what's that crap? .
    I don't need adverts thrown at me from all angles.
    Nor do I need Phishing attempts where they are trying to relieve me of my money
    What's the weather like - look out of the window. Met office cannot predict more than 24 hours ahead with any real accuracy anyway - their words not mine.

Oh yes I forgot, it also is a 'phone which I do use, and a calculator which is useful. when I haven't got a pencil and paper handythat is

There is far too much inaccurate and diversionary information out there I do not want to be part of it. Stop the world I want to get off!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I know people who only survived lockdown (genuinely) because of their phone, Whatsapp, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

It's literally a lifeline for people. I get tired of the 'kids shouldn't spend their lives looking at a phone, I played in the street with a stick and a ball and I'm okay'. The world has moved on.

As for apps vs websites, there's no underlying difference, they get just as much information about you from visiting the website on your mobile as they do visiting an app on your mobile. The only difference is whether you want push notifications for stuff or not. I find push notifications useful for some services, and I disable them for others. Having an app is, for me, immeasurably quicker than going to a website, and usually easier to navigate / use (which is a choice made by the company in question).

Anyone listing the 20 things they use in their lives to match the functionality of a single phone is, I think, deluding themselves.

It's not a phone. It's a general purpose computing device, with an incredible intuitive interface, that makes my life significantly richer than it would be without it.

Are they perfect? No. Do they suffer the same evil corporation stuff that all life does? Yes. Do I accept those compromises for the improvement in my life? Yes.

What has any of this to do with UPS trademarking brown, I'll never know :)

Zou, Benchista and MJB like this.
  5. John King

It doesn't matter one jot - I simply don't need any of them. I did not need the support of an electronic device during the lock down I was to busy looking after others that were in a worse situation than myself such as helping with their food shopping. I walked, you don't need an app for that you just need imagination and a decent pair of boots. I decorated in the house, what use is an app for that? I used my darkroom, An app is little use there, it is a personal skill which I have enjoyed for, lets see, 58 years and counting.

Total balderdash. It makes people lazy. If I did feel lazy then there was the television, I enjoyed some of the very old reincarnations. But if others want to go down that route that is their choice but I'm afraid not mine.

'The world has moved on', I would say 'changed' and not necessarily for the better. Medicine yes, food yes so long as it is home prepared, transport yes, domestic items yes, getting on with others - definitely no. Crime no - there is too much and too much ME ME ME all the time.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So being able to video chat to a relative in another part of the world, at no additional cost, makes people lazy?

The real problem with the world is a lack of empathy and the view that because something is okay for one person, anyone who doesn't find it okay is the problem. I'm really glad what you did worked for you, I believe what works for one person is what works for that person and doesn't necessarily work for every person. I prefer an inclusive, multi-faceted solution to the worlds challenges, not a one size fits all and it better be the way it was when I was a kid otherwise it's crap approach.

Zou, Benchista and dream_police like this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No apps, no cameras on phones, no TV (it's all rubbish all I need is R4 on my wireless) no sat nav (lets stick to maps) no music in the car, don't speak to anyone whilst driving lest it distracts. The new fangled inter web is OK though so I can waste my time on here, but not social media (as that is for lazy people). Great bunch on here.;)

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well during lockdown, I was able to do food shopping online for my 77 year old mother-in-law who was caring for her husband in the later stages of Alzheimers - he was subsequently hospitalised and has since died. She can email, but that's the limit of her computer abilities. I could place an online supermarket order for her and have it delivered. Simple enough, but pretty close to being a genuine lifesaver. We managed to get her in video calls at a time when she had no human contact - same with my older, disabled mother (although she can do her own Internet shopping).
    I decorated several rooms, but I had to order the stuff, shops were shut. And how did we keep touch with friends and family? Technology. Would have all been vastly harder back in the day.

Fen, LesleySM, Footloose and 4 others like this.
  9. John King

You could not make it up. The parcel has apparently arrived today(I have received another E Mail from them, but has been left with my neighbour. Fine no problem with that, at least it is here. but it wasn't supposed to be delivered until Thursday. They cannot deny it because I have 3 Emails from them. The only problem is I am right at the top of Scotland and won't be back home until Friday. Nor do I know the neighbour they left it with.

10. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

To me they're just tools and I use them when I need that particular tool to do the job it's designed for.

For example during lock down, Dave's mum called and she was panicking. Early on and with little warning the dial and ride service she depends on to take her to the shops stopped running and this coincided with a younger friend who could get things for her having to shield and she was almost out of toilet paper so I used my phone to locate a company who could deliver her some (a HUGE rip off but she sent me a cheque for the cost) and less than an hour later she had 9 rolls of Andrex

A lot of local people used the Thursday night FB quiz organised by the Bells during lock down to check on each other organise delivering food for people who were shielding etc my most liked post was telling people the little cash and carry shop had plenty of loo tolls

11. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

A friend of mine works for a company making apps for use on smartphones in hospitals, which offer a vastly more sophisticated system than the pagers these places use. When one sees the functionality these apps deliver, (eg you can locate exactly where a particular piece of medical equipment you want is, or where someone has abandoned one of the hospital's wheelchairs! - you realise how in invasive a smartphone could potentially be, especially if the likes of data-gatherers (who then sell this onto sales teams etc) used the same thing, suitably adapted.

Some Malls already have the ability to deliver advertising from the retail outlets within them as you walk around these places. - Although I think a few years ago, they were told they couldn't employ this tactic, to the extent they wanted to.

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

When I see something like this I remember Max Headroom and the Blipverts...

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Max Headroom - 20 minutes into the Future.

Got that on DVD :D

spinno likes this.
  14. John King

Update

I arrived home and found a card from them telling me it was at No 30 (I live at 31) They are on holiday for 2 weeks! Fortunately their daughter called around yesterday to water the plants, so I was able to retrieve it. If they had stuck to the original date as advised in the E Mail, there would have been no problem because the time of delivery written on the card was about an hour after I arrived home.

On another note (Daily grumble) the packaging was overkill! The item I ordered included about 1 meter of quite thin electrical wire attached to a special plastic plug to power my Motorcycle GPS. In total it weighed 65gms That was in a manufacturers box about 8"x2"x4" all neatly coiled up and far heavier than the item it contained. That box was wrapped in bubble wrap, then placed in an even larger thicker cardboard box roughly double the dimensions of the one inside. Why all the packaging when a large jiffy bag would have done even with the inner box and it would have gone through my standard letter box quite easily.