1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How can they possibly.........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

For many Amazon deliveries you can follow the progress of shipped packages on a live map in real time. This feature can be accessed by clicking Track Package from either Your Orders or your Shipment Confirmation e-mail. You'll receive a notification when your package can be tracked in this way.

Zou likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Those maps are fun. Amused me once when a guy was in the next street 2 hours before he got to me. I asked him why and he pointed to the computer routing he had to follow.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

True - but you do need to have a modern phone to use Apps. I tried to load the 'Whatthreewords" app on my iPhone but it needs iOS 11+ so that failed. It isn't as if the phone is that old (iPhone 4) which I must have got in 2013 when I came back to UK from Brussel.

4. RovingMike

No, that is a definition of OLD ;)

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I looked it up on wiki, looks like if I'd have left off getting a phone for another month, EE would have provided another model, hey ho. I feel disinclined to fork out hundreds of pounds on another one though, knowing they go obsolete so quickly. New things don't seem to age as quickly as they did, it is a shock to realise that a lot of my "new" possessions actually date from 2000/2001.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You've yet to suggest a single example of that wider capability, or explain why it is that that capability can only live inside a proprietary app and not a website. I thought you were supposed to be good at selling things? ;)

7. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I read once that the routes programmed for drivers includes such things as avoiding right turns. Its all about least time and fuel being expended.

8. RovingMike

Apps work better on a mobile. Why do you suppose they exist at all?

I'd suggest going through the online vids to see what you get:

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

And useful for catching thieving scumbags. I sat at home watching my new microwave oven be driven around Wiltshire. I even watch him turn into the village (no through road) and then leave again. I was then told my package had been delivered. Unfortunately for the driver, my wife was coming home from work and had to wait for him to do a u-turn to leave the village.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Typical ad man - trying to make me watch something I've no interest in when I'm trying to do something else... :rolleyes:

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

And now you have bought a UPS dressing up outfit from Amazon?

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Some times apps work better, some times they don't. The National Trust app will send you to the web site when it runs out of steam, the BBC weather app is virtually the same as the web page but displays alternative places more easily. On a phone, with limited space, apps can be better on a tablet I'm less sure. However, I find that most of the apps I have can't be replaced by a web site because they are "real" applications rather than web site alternatives.

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Stuart Semple, in fact I was one of the beta testers for Black 3.0 and his new White paints. The Mirror paint is amazing as well.

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

LesleySM likes this.
  15. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't agree with you. Human interaction is far better and that is what we were born to use. I utterly detest anonymous clicks on a key board and to be honest I wish we could do without them. If we cannot interact with each other by a telephone call, how on earth will we be able to do so face to face. I see it regularly (or I did before the lock down) where two families were in a restaurant for a meal and the children with them were ignoring each other tapping away on electronic gimmicks. That is not natural children's behaviour.

Perhaps it is because I am old and don't like change or it is happening to quickly for me to be bothered to keep up. Whatever option I don't like it.

16. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

UPS are simply the pits as far as I am concerned. I once chased an order for some framed prints with the company I got them from and they said UPS said they had tried to deliver 3 times and left cards (they hadn't) and the packages were now at the local collection point so as these were quite big I got a cab to the collection point to pick them up, went in and came out with some chocolate because as UPS had not told me where to collect them they'd been sent back!

I now will not buy from companies that use UPS

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Sorry to disappoint you but several years ago I bought a product delivered on a physical disc from a company near the great lakes. I expected at least a week for delivery. I followed its progress on line until midnight.. It was picked up by UPS within about 30 mins of ordering and just hit the right distribution hubs near to perfection. It was on an aircraft to the US east coast within an hour, at the east coast hub within about 2 and a half hours, on a transatlantic flight shortly after and at UPS East Midlands hub by early morning UK time. I was still in PJ's when it arrived at my home in Keyworth near Nottingham.. At that time I certainly had no reason to be dissatisfied by UPS.

18. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Since the last post I have found out that the item I required which was a dedicated waterproof lead to connect my satnav on my motorcycle to the power supply I had been told it was only available from the manufacturers agent in the Netherlands. I wish I had done some digging because I have just found out that the same item is available from an agent in Hertfordshire, both cheaper and with delivery by Royal Mail the next day. Good bye UPS, I will never use them again, they are just not user friendly enough for me.

19. RovingMike

No interest, but an utterly condemnatory opinion of something you have no actual experience of.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Until I see a benefit (real or perceived) I'm not going to overcome the real detriments of having to search for an app, install it, sort out the permissions etc. I'm also not interested in watching ads.

Just to humour you I've checked the app on the Play store. It appears to have two features unavailable in the web experience - a measurement tool and contains 3rd party ads. Sorry to disappoint but as well as already having a web connection I also have a ruler/tape measure/scales, not to mention a hatred of adverts. :)

John King likes this.