1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can they possibly.........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's not a good system if I am required to download an app to do something a simple web form could manage.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That is such a simple idea, why wasn't it around 50 years ago?

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

One often overlooked downside of the own brand products being in similar colours to brands is when your wife accidentally picks up Heinz ketchup instead of the superior-tasting Lidl alternative. Likewise mayo, but I pay particular attention to that as Hellmans is utter shite.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Hellmans Lite is horrible but Hellmans full fat seems OK. Heinz ketchup is too sweet but earlier this year they produced a low sugar, with no added sweetener, version which was much better, haven't seen it for months.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My biggest issue with Hellmans is the vinegar-led palette.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That's the one.

I use the app for the other companies too. Fairly easy to do and can be done anywhere you are.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So basically adds nothing over a simple web form then? If I have a device in my hand that can access internet why saddle it with pointless apps that don't actually solve any 'problems' in the first place. I'm guessing the major driver of the app use is a desire for additional data which can be gleaned from the device.

8. dream_police

For mainstream ketchup I only use Heinz. My mum had that Lidl stuff. Granted it was quite nice, unlike a lot of cheap brands, but I prefer Heinz. For occasional use I use "Sauce Shop". Quite a bit more expensive but very nice.

9. dream_police

They have your details anyway I guess.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm thinking they may be after aggregated data, possibly has resale value?

I've tried a few brand-specific apps over the years, and deleted all of them. Rarely an improvement on the web functionality, but a constant annoyance of required updates, bloat, diminishing memory on device etc. etc. At least with later versions of Android it's easier to manage permissions, but when an app "needs" access to contacts for example I get very suspicious.

11. dream_police

Likewise. I will never grant it permission. Same for location. “Only when using” is my default when Apple give me a choice or let me know an app has been using my location in the background.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I never grant access to my contacts, especially if it can't apparently do anything with them. I am wary about allowing access to my location and I won't load applications when using the web browser works. There are apps that offer a better experience than using a browser on a phone. The same is not true of a tablet.
    I have removed all Google applications from my devices because they were, reportedly, tracking them what ever the settings.

13. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Yes a whole string of delivery notices. I have checked mine and no way is there one similar to yours. The notice you have quoted is 10 months out of date. On mine there are references to Covid 19 so this may have prompted a change of delivery details and ability to change destination or date.

14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But it wouldn't do it nearly as well and those that do that rely on people being around to see it and transfer the info, which they often don't. The UPS system is automated. Have you used the app?

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No I haven't used it - don't recall the last time anyone sent anything to us via UPS. However, given the choice of installing a suite of UPS, Yodel, Hermes and however many other apps OR having a simple web interface, I know which I'll choose.

What info would be required? Tracking/package ID, recipient name, recipient address. What part of that can a web interface not do nearly as well as an app?

16. dream_police

Take the DPD app for example. It’s on my phone and I’m logged in. If I am due a delivery I’m alerted on the app as well as e mail etc. One or 2 clicks and I can change date, location safe place, neighbour, pick up point etc. No need to input data. But whatever suits the individual I guess.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Does anyone else remember being able to click a link in a tracking SMS message to get a real time location on their package, and an option to advise if you won't be in or where to leave it? Again, struggling to see where the app adds anything worthwhile.

18. John King

John King Well-Known Member

With DPD as far as I recall, so long as a parcel/package is still in transit and not out for delivery, it is a simple matter of getting in touch with the sending company BY PHONE and asking them to make the change. The same applies to the Post Office. What would someone do with all these anonymous Apps if they didn't have a smart phone. The who system is a pain in the rear end. I am human I like to speak to another human once in a while instead of responding to a ridged band alternatives.

Far quicker and certain than banging away on a smart phone or laptop with the uncertainty they will respond..

19. dream_police

DPD can be changed whilst in transit through the app.

I'm expecting a delivery by UPS from Epson, hopefully soon. The website didn't give me an option. Let's see how that goes. Having said that, although infrequent, UPS have been OK. I have been asked by a driver to take parcels in for my neighbours several times.

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Would cut a long story short if you would just use one. Apps are a big step forward. Much wider capabilities.