1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

How can they possibly.........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 29, 2020.

1. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I am expecting a package from the Netherlands which is being delivered by UPS (not my 1st choice or even any choice) and looking at their Email notification of delivery time/date I have seen a copyright notice:-

© 2020 United Parcel Service of America, Inc. UPS, the UPS brandmark, and the color brown are trademarks of United Parcel Service of America, Inc. All rights reserved.

Am I missing something here? I can understand copyright restriction on their name for commercial business but how on earth can they claim a copyright on the colour brown? Is it me or simply an Americanism?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is only a trademark on the color brown not the colour brown :)

Seriously, the UPS delivery vehicles are very distinctive I would expect the copyright strictly to apply to the UPS mark on a brown van and then possibly only to their van design. Whether that design is unique to them I don't know - certainly in the UK I don't think I have seen an equivalent in any other colour.

3. John King

Sorry I don't see any distinction apart from the American way of spelling the word colour! But there again who am I to argue. It is at least badly worded and in that form possibly unenforceable.

(Lots of head shaking going on!)

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Is their service crap?

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It protects you as much as them, from look-alikes, rogue traders and rip-offs. Ditto Kodak yellow and many more.

Use of the colour (far as I'm aware) will be in context of delivery business. The exact shade (like a typeface) is registerable. My company handled the whole relaunch, including livery, about 16 years ago.

retrofit and Geren like this.
  6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Anish Kapoor managed to get an exclusive deal on (vanta)black. Perhaps UPS use the Mummy Brown made from crushed up egyptians?

7. RovingMike

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Note as well, that you're mixing up copyright and trademarks in the original post. The copyright applies to the page you're reading the text on, but the logos and the colours are trademarked. As Mike says, if you tried to set up a parcel delivery service using that shade of brown on your trucks, then in countries where that trademark is recognised there might be a challenge. Or if you set up a website to check postal delivery and you used that brown, etc.

It's not copyright, which prevents any reproduction, it's a trademark.

https://law.stackexchange.com/questions/6685/can-ups-really-trademark-the-color-brown/6687

Geren likes this.
  9. RovingMike

First thing rip-off brands try to copy is the colour. They can make you pick the wrong thing off the shelf with colour alone. Next comes graphics, style of type and finally the name itself.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Aldi are very good at that putting their own cheap brands close to the real stuff. The colour and very similar graphics are the first things you see.

11. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Yes.
    That's why their trucks are disguised as a big crap .

12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Cadbury succeeded in obtaining a trademark on the purple they use on their chocolate wrappers a while ago, until they recently tried to renew and got told to bugger off - they tried to stretch the trademark to cover everything including the kitchen sink (it is pantone 2685C)
    Anish Kapoor may well own the rights to the blackest black, but that was until another even blacker blackest black came out, and was put in the public domain - everyone is allowed to use it EXCEPT Anish Kapoor :D
    https://news.artnet.com/art-world/stuart-semple-blackest-black-anish-kapoor-1452259

edit...The paint I was referring to was created by Stuart Semple. It isn't the blackest black, it is the blackest black acrylic paint (about 99percent absorption rather than 99.6 for Anish Kapoor's paint)

His website states:

*Note: By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this material will not make it's way into the hands of Anish Kapoor.

But then again, MIT have come up with another paint which is the blackest blacky black material ever created at 99.995percent absorption

https://news.artnet.com/exhibitions/diemut-strebe-diamond-1653130

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Fen likes this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Links like that are highly distractive in the nicest way.
    The LG mask to be shown at IFA 2020 is interesting and leads one to search for the effectiveness of HEPA filters against viruses.
    The IKEA/LEGO Bygglek collection looks like a brilliant idea. It looks like fun for children and helpful to parents who want to keep bits of LEGO from getting jammed in the vacuum cleaner. Its so obvious now one sees it; not so obvious until someone else imagined it.

14. John King

[QUOTE="John Farrell, Is their service crap? [/QUOTE]

Absolutely! I was told 2-3 working days delivery which would have made it Monday at the latest. The invoice and estimated delivery date is now Thursday and as I am away until very late on Thursday, this was arranged around their original delivery date, Trying to get them to change the date or deliver to my next door neighbour is impossible. Once a package has been collected from the sender, it cannot be diverted, 'put on hold' whatsoever. Fortunately, I have found the package is quite small, so will in all probability go through my letter box (I hope). It does not have to be signed for.

This company has no UK call centres, the number for enquiries is an 0345 one, but connects through to America and when I spoke to them they had no idea at first what I was asking them to do. Absolutely not customer friendly and a very poor service in this day and age.

ascu75 likes this.
  15. dream_police

They have an app that you can change delivery details on I’m sure. I had to do it once IIRC.

16. John King

Much the same colour scheme as the Premier Inn Hotel chain and Premier convenience shops the colours are identical. They came after the hotels.

17. RovingMike

That goes for all own label, they hitch a ride on the premium brands. Colours come to signify certain things in specific areas. There was big concern amongst legislators about 10 years ago about the amount of green being splashed over things.

18. John King

No there is absolutely NO WAY that once a package is in transit can any change be made. This is what I was told by the guy in America.

I had heard about their service before I placed the order and if I had known it was UPS, I would have declined to do so. They really are set up for business customers, the private individual appears to be an 'add on'.

19. dream_police

What I understand about Aldi as they don’t stick main brands all of the time is that they stock it for a while, park their almost identical brand next to it then remove the main brand after a short time hoping we’ll be fooled. At least the main supermarkets stock both all of the time.

20. RovingMike

Of course they do. It is on the whole string of delivery notices they send you. Good system all through:

upload_2020-8-29_12-27-41.png