1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are you Uncle?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Jan 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Good morning Uncle, how are you?

Time to adopt this - or even to bring it back for some of you.
    In a couple of books I read recently, I was enchanted by the way an older (not necessarily elderly) person could be addressed.
    Not Hey Mister - or hey Missus, no, it was auntie or uncle which was used, which I think is a much more pleasant way!
    This is, or was, common in Asian cultures and I even have vague memories of it being used in my childhood.
    A close friend could be uncle John. Someone I didn't really know could be referred to as just Uncle if addressing them or asking a question.

I do think this is useful for children too. Mister, or even Mr X doesn't sound the right way. Sometimes they would even not say anything, not knowing how to address the person. Just saying their name seems too cheeky (for some children) so Uncle or Auntie would be perfect.

How do you feel about bringing this into our day to day interactions? Would you like it or hate it? Personally I think it would be lovely.

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Close Family friends were mostly uncle any auntie back in the day.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Same here, when I was very young.

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

This wasn't a thing in my childhood really but then even if my parents did have close friends we probably didn't see them often enough for this to come up because we moved house so often. That said, our next-door-neighbour-but-one had her 104 year old father living with her while we there and everyone but everyone called him Grandad, related or not. Sharp as a sharp thing right up to the end, still beating me at the card game he'd taught me when I first met him (don't know what it's really called, but we called it Spite and Malice and he was not the sort to go softly on an eleven year old!)

When I was a child, my aunts were just called by their first name. Great aunts were called Auntie (Ethel, Ethel and Gladys as it happens. Ethel and Gladys were sisters. They married William and Arthur who were brothers. The brothers had a sister called Ethel. I think they all lived in the same street! So the idea of calling someone under the age of about 70 an auntie seems odd to me. My brother did teach his children to call me Aunty Kathy...which they translated into Aunty Daffy and which unfortunately has stuck. But I quite like the idea of adopting it for chidren to use. I guess you'd need to make sure the adults in question were on board with it though.

Catriona likes this.
  5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

When we were youngsters a few close family friends were called Aunty or Uncle with their first name .
    A few other close neighbors were addressed as Mr or Mrs .

Catriona likes this.
  6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

go Shakespearean and call them "nuncle"

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

"Prithee nuncle"

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spite_and_Malice

Geren likes this.
  9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I don't know about nuncle , but I've come across a few numpties !

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

When I was growing up, we had a widowed lady on one side of our house and a lady who had never married on the other side and they were both called Aunt the widowed lady was Aunt Vera (confusing as my parents both had sisters called Vera) and the other lady was Aunt Sybil- who was my earliest role model, she never married because she trained as a nurse in the days when nurses could not get married and she was the first woman I met who had a career, never married, was financially independent, drove a car. She gave me a love of medicine, history and Giles cartoons

Geren, Catriona and John Farrell like this.
  12. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Only one non relative was called Auntie and she was special. Her specialty, because she worked at Cadbury's, was turning up with a box of those penny chocolate bars. What a treat that was and it was agony making the box last as long as my Mother said it should.

I googled and couldn't find an image. IIRC they were unwrapped and came in a plain box with, guessing, a gross inside.

MickLL

Geren and Catriona like this.
  13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Only one family friend was called Auntie, but she was like a sister to my mother. It was like a right of passage when about 13 years old she said to me "just call me Kathy".

Geren likes this.