1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hopefuly an easy question

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by dazdmc, Dec 22, 2019.

1. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

Ive recently picked up a Nikon D70s that has been converted to IR (720nm)
    Ive only just got into digital photography and do little to no post processing, I prefer to try and get the results in camera with my D5300 but with IR it needs some work to get B+W. I am looking for some very simple, easy to learn software to help with this. I set a custom WB (usually grass) and am currently using Faststone, is there anything else out there that might suit me better? Although I don't mind paying for software I am not interested in paying a monthly subscription for it.
    Any ideas or pointers would be much apprecaited.

thanks

daz

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I suppose the real question is whether or not you are getting the results that you want. My son does a lot of IR and he says he uses GIMP for the colour correction - free but in my view not easy to use - together with Canon DPP. Nikon will have its own free software offering.

A lot of the commercial programs give you a few days free trial - there are enough of them to keep you busy a while. Although all the programs do much the same thing I find some easier to use than others. I can't figure out Photoshop (either Elements or the full version) or Gimp for example.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Whatever you use, a channel mixer process is quite handy - not found in Elements but in Photoshop CC

4. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

I've been trying loads!!! Gimp just doesn't do it for me, it's way too complicated for my needs and just isn't intuative. I've been dabbling with it for 3 months and I hate it.
    Faststone, although probably too simple for most of you, seems to be doing what I need it to do so far, ie turning an IR image into a B+W one.
    I'm actually finding the whole process of digital imaging quite unnerving and it's really putting me out of my comfort zone. I built my first computer 30 years ago, have designed and programmed machinery for some of the largest electronics manufacturers in the world but I can't figure out how to use some silly software. I know it's just about the time and effort I need to put in, same as the camera I've spent the last 10 months learning to use.

5. PeteRob

I agree with you. I have 743 pages of Adobe Photoshop for Photographers sitting in front of me and it doesn't help! I pay for PS as part of my subscription to Adobe CC so I thought I might as well try to learn it :)

If Faststone does what you want then that's good. I think I have a copy on my laptop but I don't use the laptop for photography as the screen is useless. I've used a mac since 2012 for pictures and only use a PC for office stuff.

All of the image processing programs work more or less the same way if you are processing whole images, so colour correction and contrast adjustment which you need for IR to mono are pretty standard things. Where the programs diverge is on how they handle selective editing - say you want to modify only part of an image. The most flexible are the ones that use layers and masks ( this is what I can't get my head around) to allow almost indefinite modification of the original image. I settle for automation where less can be done but it only involves painting adjustments or addition of digital filters like a simulated Neutral Density (ND) graduate for darkening a sky.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

FastStone is what I use - I have several other editors on my machine and I do use them for special jobs but I always come back to FS

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

GIMP is very comprehensive and will do most anything PS can do. However it does need some learning (there's huge amounts of help out there and reams of help files). But if you want something to auto-magically change your image for you with no effort then it's not for you.

8. PeteRob

... when starting from a jpg.

9. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi, not that it will help much, but , I have been using photoshop for 15 years or so and still have to consult the guide at times. When I started it was all confusing and difficult, but after reading articles and “how to’s” and lots of practice I now find it easier to make it do what I want. If it was easy everyone would be doing it !!!

10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Lucky you! I find PS frustrating and tend to keep to LR. For whatever reason I do not find PS intuitive and I have the write down the steps required for the tasks I use. I have bought guide books but these go out of date quite quickly following updates. My brain just not seem wired for PS, perhaps if I was more creative it would be easier. However I will keep going.

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I usually work from a raw image but sometimes a JPEG

12. PeteRob

Maybe I'm out of date - I thought GIMP was 8 bit per channel and integration with raw processing (on a mac anyway) was a headache.

13. John King

John King Well-Known Member

You can try buying the Photoshop Elements which is sold outright and will do all you really need. Some swear by freebie downloads of alternative software but I have never tried it.

14. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

thanks for all the info peeps, much more reading and trial software to download and try!!!