1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home film developing

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by tommyhashbrown, Jun 24, 2003.

1. tommyhashbrown

tommyhashbrown Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I want to start developing B&W film at home so I can scan it in using a film scanner. I'm taking quite a few B&W so I think it'll save me some money on processing if I do my own as I often only want to print one or two.

I have seen the Paterson tanks - are they good?

Also - can anyone recommend a good book on film processing and also darkroom technique (for novices)

thanks in advance,

Tommy.

2. DOUBLEDAN

DOUBLEDAN Well-Known Member

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, the Paterson tanks are fine. As are the Jessops own-brand - they're just the old version of the Paterson tanks.

Nick BSRIPN

4. tommyhashbrown

thanks chaps!!

5. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

Dead easy, doing your own dev'ing. You'll probably be asking about what developers and so forth you'll be needing next, well, I'd say that ID11 is a good 'un for starters, although Jessops Econotol is nice 'n' cheap if it's absolute economy you're after, although any home dev'ing is pretty cheap. I reckon it costs me about 40p for a 35mm roll and 50p for a 120 roll a time.
    You don't really need a book for just film processing - just ask us what few qustions you have. Ilford also have a help page for dev'ing your own films.

Rob CRIPN

If something's not worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.

6. tommyhashbrown

I mainly use Ilford delta and the new fuji Acros B&W. I have had really good results with these (I send them to ilford for developing/printing and do my own reprints). Would the developers you suggest work well with these films? also - who is ID11 made by?

cheers!!
    Tommy

7. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

ID-11 is made by Ilford and is a powder developer.

It is easier and usually cheaper to use liquid concentrates. Jessop Econotol is cheap and easy, but I've found you need to rate films half a stop lower than with ID-11, and give about 20% more than the times on the leaflet. Paterson Aculux is a good all-round film dev, and newish Paterson's FX-50 is more environment-friendly (and presumably less toxic) than most developers.

For books you could try Jonathan Eastland's Essential Darkroom Techniques. There are likely to be copies or similar titles at your local library.

You could also read the PDF sheets at http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw.html

and the darkroom FAQ at http://www.photogs.com/bwworld/bwdarkroomfaq.html

Simon.

8. robbybobby

What is it that people have against powder developers? They're perfect for beginners because the measurements are big and easy, unlike the micro-fine quanitities of some liquid developers, eg. Rodinal.
    I might get some Rodinal soon . . what do you think?

Rob CRIPN

9. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

I'd thought about getting some Rodinal, but until I run out of D76, I probably won't worry too much about it. People here have said that Rodinal is great, though like everything else, I imagine it depends on what you're doing.

Diane

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Rodinal IS great. It's got a wonderful blend of characteristics, is vastly easier to use than a powder and can be used VERY dilute to get a truly magnificent result. If you only use one dev, this is it.

Nick BSRIPN

11. robbybobby

I'll need to scrounge a fine measuring cylinder off the chemistry department, then I may go for it. 500mls for £7 isn't too much to experiment with, I guess. Then again, can't experiment without film. I'm running out again, you see. I wish they did multipacks of Ilford films at 7day. I've used 16 rolls of bw film in the last month!! Insane, isn't it? Thankfully, I've applied for a job which should help me satisfy my unnerving appetite for film.

Rob CRIPN

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

They generally have triple packs at decent prices.

Nick BSRIPN

13. robbybobby

Well, I use Delta 400 mostly in 35mm, but most of all, FP4 in 120 - which isn't in multipacks, as aren't the Delta400 films./img/wwwthreads/frown.gif
    I did order a 3 pack of 35mm FP4 recently, though. I've got a roll in my 650 at the moment - I'm rating it at 200 to punch up the contrast a little.

Rob CRIPN

14. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Rob, Jessops sell a tiddly little plastic measuring cylinder graduated 0 - 100 in 5 ml steps for about £3. Good for concentrates.

Wilko (alter ego mode) FRIPN

15. robbybobby

Ah, well I can probably get a 10 and a 100ml pyrex glass measure from school./img/wwwthreads/wink.gif
    If not, though, I'll go for the Jessops version, thanks.

Rob CRIPN

16. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

The syringes supplied with inkjet kits or from other sources are excellent for measuring in 1 - 10 ml doses, and no need to pour from the bottle.

Johnmac
    If at first you don't succeed, ring the Help Line.

17. robbybobby

Great! Thanks John! Not so much for the inkjet bit, but reminding me of syringes. My dad's got some in the garage he uses for injecting glue/filler etc. in DIY, but he may let me have one - they're about 10ml or 20ml each.

Rob CRIPN

18. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

Rodinal

What is it some people have against liquid developers?

There is only one way to find out if Rodinal is any good - try it. Perhaps some kind soul will post you a tiny bottle of it, a mate did that for for me. Once upon a time Rodinal was available in 125ml bottles - much more sensible.

A 500ml bottle of Rodinal will last you over 40 rolls of 35mm at 1 25 (12ml per film). That's 17p per roll. It lasts for ever too. 1 litre of ID-11, costing £2.99, will do 6 rolls diluted 1 1, 13 rolls at 1 3 (23p each). This is missing the point somewhat, mind.

For someone getting to grips with b&w developing it makes sense to just mix up your dev and go - no long term storage to worry about. It just makes for an easier life. I'm not arguing against ID-11 - I use it myself - I just don't enjoy the fiddle of trying to get all of the powder in the graduate neatly.

The argument against using liquid dev because it requires you to measure small amounts of concentrate is plain daft. Buy a small graduate. I have a Paterson 45ml (£2.49 at Jessops) that is perfect for the job.

Simon.

19. robbybobby

Re: Rodinal

I will probably buy a bottle next time round. I'm running outta ID11 and Perceptol anyway.

Rob CRIPN

20. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

I look for a photographic use for everything! Another Top Tip there,Rob go and earn a roll of HP4 from AP.

Johnmac
    If at first you don't succeed, ring the Help Line.