1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Colour printing in 1962

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Does anyone else remember colour printing from 35mm colour negatives in or around 1962?
    Two of us were quite heavily in to photography, and as Ilford were now selling colour printing paper and using dish development, to amateurs, we decided to offer our student friends, "Colour Degree Portraits" at the same price that the shops were charging for "Black & White Degree Portraits". We used Agfa CN17 as our 35mm film, and that (and the finer grain CN14) was unmasked.
    I had a fair sized room at college, decent sized table and we could black out the windows, so I got my enlarger etc. moved there, and after the shoots, we spent several nights producing the prints. The three exposures using the very narrow spectral cut filters, were very long (2-4 minutes each), and were done in sequence - counting the ticks from our darkroom clock. (No subtractive filtration for this job!) Washing was done in the bath in a communal bathroom along the landing. All went well, until the college servant who lived in the same building decided to find out who had left the tap running... ...during the night. I'm not sure who was more surprised, him or ourselves seeing him out of uniform and in his bedroom attire.

Sadly, the stability of the colours was poor, even though I remember using an extra stage to enhance the stability, and the colour print given to my parents lasted less than 3 months. We had taken back-up shots in B&W and they still exist.

[​IMG]

... and that's me in 1962.

zx9r likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Very enterprising. Was it a financial success?

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

In about 1964 I was using Ilford Cibachrome for making prints directly from colour transparencies.
    It was quite a convoluted process and very picky as to time and temperature but the results were stunning and long lasting.
    Even framed and on a wall they never seemed to fade.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Never used it but I remember Cibachrome well but was not it a lot later than 1964?? If memory serves it was what was used in the photoboots and was the only acceptable media for passports

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

It was called Ilfochrome to start with then later changed to Cibachrome.

6. Malcolm_Stewart

We covered our costs, and fortunately none of our victims chased us for replacement prints. Hopefully, they put their prints away instead of letting them be bleached by daylight as my proud mother had done!
    I too have made Cibachrome prints, and still have a small tank aimed at 4" x 5" (??) prints. What I've never attempted is printing from modern masked colour negatives, as produced by the C41 process, although I do have a working Jobo DuoLab processor.

7. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I started Colour Printing with the 'Paterson Pavelle' process and 'Additive Filters' -- they gave the Formula so I mixed up my own Chemicals ( FREE ) as I was a Technical Photographer for the Geology Dept. at UCL in Gower Street at the time -- the Lecturers thought it was wonderful and I did some photomicrographs on Agfa CN17 and CN 14 which I processed myself, then I found out about 'Gevaert Scientiacolor' a very high contrast un-masked film which I used for photomicrography and copying of old faded Geology Maps . It was a Big Day when I changed to Subtractive Printing using Kodak Gels -- No 'Colour Heads in Enlargers' in those days ( about 1968) I may have a scan of 'ScientiaColor' negs to show you ---

[​IMG]Micro 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Catriona and zx9r like this.
  8. Malcolm_Stewart

Excellent. That looks like some organic crystallisation - using crossed polars, I assume?

9. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Yes -- crossed Polarisers ! It WAS an 'Organic Substance' maybe Hydroquinone from my Photo Chemicals store .

10. John-b73

John-b73 New Member

Hi Pete

I’m doing some research and experiment with colour papers and I’ve got a Paterson Pavelle System kit, you mentioned that you worked with this system and made your own chemistry. I’ve been looking online and although I have found plenty of references to the history of the process, none of them actually mention the chemistry. Any ideas where I might find chemical formula for this process? My research suggests the process was patented but your post suggests the process was published somewhere?

I appreciate it was a long time ago but thought I would take a chance. Love your photomicrograph, beautiful colours.

Thanks, John

11. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Sorry John -- been away from this site for a while --- well I cannot remember from WHERE I got the Formula -- it as so long ago when I was a photographer at University College London Geology Dept and I left there 1970 to keep an eye on what my Ex-Wife was up to and to set up on my own ---

PS -- NOT COMPATIBLE with Modern RA4 Colour Papers