1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holyrood elections

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, May 7, 2021.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Bl**dy spell check. Always check what you write....:):)

Catriona likes this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I'm sure I can recall something similar happening, about five years ago. Now, what could it have been........? :confused: ;)

dangie likes this.
  3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Shout it loud enough and long enough people either believe it or just give up and say just get on with it....

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

In Wales at least, the independence movement is grassroots driven, not by politicians.
    Why?
    Because of a long-felt anger and resentment at the way Wales has been treated by England for centuries. Examples are the history of Plaid and the much more recent YesCymru movement.
    By the way, the English NIP is very much bugger-all to do with politicians. It was started as a joke but took off because the populace was behind it.

S

Zou and Catriona like this.
  5. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Nicola Sturgeon
    2ttSpondSsoaredh ·
    Today’s events were entirely down to Home Office actions. Police Scotland were in an invidious position - they do not assist in the removal of asylum seekers but do have a duty to protect public safety. They act independently of ministers, but I support this decision.
    I disagree fundamentally with Home Office immigration policy but even putting that aside, this action was unacceptable. To act in this way, in the heart of a Muslim community as they celebrated Eid, and in an area experiencing a Covid outbreak was a health & safety risk.
    Both as MSP and as FM, I will be demanding assurances from the UK government that they will never again create, through their actions, such a dangerous situation. No assurances were given - and frankly no empathy shown - when I managed to speak to a junior minister earlier.
    I am proud to represent a constituency and lead a country that welcomes and shows support to asylum seekers and refugees. The day when immigration policy is the responsibility of The Scottish Parliament can’t come soon enough.
    Another reason why my nation needs to leave - we have differant values,

peterba, AGW, Catriona and 1 other person like this.
  6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that England leaves the UK, too, Willie. ;)

Then we can put the current 'government' on a raft, and push it out into the Atlantic, where Johnson & Co can carry on their deeply unpleasant activities on themselves - Onanists that they are - and leave the rest of us alone.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I knew there was a reason why I haven't moved back to Scotland: the dulcet tones of the barmpots echoing through the canyons of Holyrood.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Very wise. You really wouldn't fit in at all well.

9. Andrew Flannigan

I don't know about that. I can be just as daft as the next person, if I try.

spinno likes this.
  10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

You have to try:eek::p?

Catriona likes this.
  11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

To misquote a famous brother
    "I wouldn't want to be in a club where they let me be a member":rolleyes::D

Catriona likes this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Alas, my accent betrays me when I try to pass as English. Mind you, when I was younger, I was often asked if I was Canadian! :confused::D

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

That's a bit of a lumber Jack...

14. Andrew Flannigan

I solemnly swear and affirm that I am not now and never have been a lumber jack; nor have I ever pressed a wild flower, put on womens' clothing or hung around... Oh! Wait a minute...

:p :p :p

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Demonstrators in Scotland make a lot of noise about welcoming refugees. I would like to know how the majority of Scottish residents feel about this issue.
    I am not making any assumption about the answer. Are there any genuine surveys made by unbiased organisations?

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well, a recent nationwide 'opinion poll' was carried out in which a majority of respondents indicated support for welcoming immigration and free movement opportunities. Does that help answer your question? ;)

Geren and Catriona like this.
  17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

And you moved to Devon for the scones on a Wednesday...

18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ha! Exeter isn't Devon. It's Nowhereland!

19. Andrew Flannigan

Well, sort of. The BBC report said...
    We don't know from this how many were questioned, how many answered, how the subjects were selected and what the percentage of the population by local area was. In other words, a typical untrustworthy poll.

20. Andrew Flannigan

I am not now and never have been an inhabitant of Exeter, either. :mad: