1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holyrood elections

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, May 7, 2021.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No Andrew. We can say "No" politely. But still be firm. This business is not a slanging match.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I admire your restraint but believe your analysis is incorrect.

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Ploughed strip, barbed wire, machine gun towers - Queen Nicola the First will not allow anyone to leave and reduce her demesne. :D

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Speaking from experience?

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yes. Plenty - and have witnessed a man trying to cross it towards the West. He was shot by the Soviets/EGA. I was 22 at the time.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'm sure you could although other NATO members might have something to say about trying to take them by force. They might want to leave by diplomatic means anyway.

I expect we would need something along those lines in this post-brexshit world. :(

Also, I've yet to hear a single argument for independence being good for the environment or there being any plans to reduce consumption - if anything the plan seems to be to put more pressure on the environment and increase consumption. (anyone else watched Seaspiracy for example?)

7. Catriona

We like our environment. It's not us who leave garbage everywhere when we've brought our camper to Scotland and/or the Islands. Anyway, in common with other suppressed nations, the luxury of reducing consumption and protecting the environment is something of a fairy tale propounded by city dwellers and those benefitting from it already.

8. Catriona

I am reminded of a lecture I once attended here on ethical sourcing and production and consumption of food.
    One of the speakers was a wise French philosopher and teacher, who reminded us of the fact that hungry people just want food and don't have the luxury of thinking where and how it is produced.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Suppressed? The UK's first act was to bail out the idiots who'd put their money into the Darien Scheme and it's been subsidising the "poor, hard done by Scots" ever since.

10. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I didnt know there were gasslights back in 1707? You live and learn....

Graeme

WillieJ, Zou and Catriona like this.
  11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

No it didn't. UK did not exist pre-Darien.
    But I'll ask again; why is England so desperate to hang on to what it describes as a money-pit?

S

12. Andrew Flannigan

It was Darien that persuaded the Scots to form the union and one of the first things the union did was bail out the Scotish economy.
    Because the more joined up the world is, the better off everyone is. Of course, it also annoys the seperatists and that is, in itself, a good thing.

13. Catriona

and you know best, of course.
    What a load of ...

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

England paid Scotland a sum of money called "The Equivalent". This was to compensate Scotland for taking on a share of England's national debt. While Scotland was pretty well bankrupted by the Darien fiaso it did not have a national debt. When the Equivalent arrived after the treaty was signedf it was short a significant amount but no fuss was made. It is widely assumed that an amount equal to bribes paid to buy votes in favour of the union had been deducted with the bribes being re-classified as advances. Hence the Robert Burns song "Sic a parcel o' rogues in a nation" and its line "We are bought and sold for English gold." The" parcel o' rogues" jibe was aimed at Scots who voted with their wallet not at the English nation as some people erroniously assume..

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Better off joined up with England? The nation which forced everyone else to leave the EU? Yeah, right.

S

Catriona likes this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Yes.

17. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Over 100 independent nations smaller than Scotland. Many of them seem to be doing better than Scotland is at present. How do they exist never mind prosper?

Graeme

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's a mystery.*

*It really isn't.

AGW and Catriona like this.