1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holyrood elections

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, May 7, 2021.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thought I'd create this thread as a place to keep all the Scottish election stuff in one place. The counting starts today and final results expected at some time on Saturday.

Most polls indicated a pro-indy majority again, but whether SNP outright majority or with backing from Greens (some polls had them well into double digit % and on course for maybe 10 seats) or (and I'm saying this just to cover the bases) from Alec's League of the Bloody Awful, remains to be seen.

The Tories have generally been seen to have had a weak campaign with a surprising resurgence for Labour in the recent weeks. Lib Dems remain on course for a group small enough to hold conference in a back garden.

Tick tock!

Catriona likes this.
  2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Probably but if that back garden is in Shetland it could be significant.

Either way I'd like to thank the SNP voters for doubling my fuel bill this week due to diversions around new housing estates that used to be fields and trees.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I feel strangely numb about it all this time. No candidate here caused or causes a stir. We have over the years been quite diverse in our choices and votes. Mainly, I think, on personality and their intentions. I can't see drastic changes on the horizon for us in Scotland. I doubt very much a referendum will be allowed until it is guaranteed the Union will prevail. Sometimes it's time to stop beating our heads against the wall. Could be time to take a different direction.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  4. Catriona

Just heard the helicopter bringing the ballot boxes from Barra etc. After seeing a photo of the counting hall, how boring that the boxes from Lewis and Harris are all stacked up against the wall. We used to wonder who was going to be first to run into the hall with the first one! Then the long wait for the other Islands. Only then was it something to eat for us hard working counters!

5. Catriona

This appeared in one of the ballot boxes here.

I would accept it for sure, the intention is very clear. :)

[​IMG]

6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My youngest was able to vote for the first time this year and was quite excited to do so. But then I think she experienced a massive dose of anti-climax and said "Is that it then?" Not sure if she was expecting a fanfare or what!

Where I live is interesting, voting-wise. Helensburgh is in the Argyll & Bute Council area but for Scottish elections we are not in the Argyll & Bute constituency/Highland Region - we voted to switch councils some years back but remained in the same constituency/region as before - West Dunbartonshire/West Scotland. So we are voting for the MSP who arguably doesn't actually represent us or work for us in anything but name and have to live in an area with an MSP who actually doesn't represent us or work for us at all!

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Catriona likes this.
  7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Lib Dems hold Orkney. (Feigns surprise)
    SNP hold Aberdeen Donside.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And SNP hold Kate's seat. Here's hoping someone can find her a dentist too.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

I can take my pick of the dentists! It's just mine has gone on holiday.

Yes. Vote here (approx) SNP c.7,000
    Labour c.4,000
    Tory c,2,000

64.36% turnout

Gave up on the dual language very quiet broadcast!

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

SNP hold Clydebank and Milngavie.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

PS - I'm not posting every seat, just the ones which declare whilst I'm having lunch.

Geren and Catriona like this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Lol, Willie Rennie quoted as saying "people have sent a pretty clear message that they don't want indyref2."

Which is why there is only one non-SNP seat so far.

Geren likes this.
  13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

...and that's Orkney, who are still voting for Jo Grimond.

14. Catriona

My dad's favourite. 1950s, that is.

15. Catriona

Oh my! It's choking the newscasters on the BBC.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Curtice trying desperately to paint the SNP successes as "cause for SNP concern"... :confused:

Catriona likes this.
  17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No clear message yet. The swings are not consistent. Safe seats were not expected to change.
    Tactical voting seems to be happening. Unionists supporting whoever has the best chance of beating the SNP. Just look at Banff and Buchan. SNP hold, but only just.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So you agree Willie Rennie was talking shite then. Seemed more a soundbite for Friday evening news than a useful contribution after first declarations.

WillieJ and Catriona like this.
  19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think that he was letting his optimism override reason.
    The overall result is likely to depend on the regional votes. I can imagine Ms Sturgeon having to rely on her former colleague Mr Salmond to provide separatist support.

20. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Congrats Zou.