1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Holiday Backup

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by IanG1957, May 30, 2019.

1. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for this - I've just tested it on my Samsung A8 phone and it works! (Sorry, didn't mean to doubt you there!!) This is the first time I've been able to get a device to actually recognize the XQD card - things are looking up.

Holiday (sorry, away from home...) backup and image preview is becoming much less of a problem now. Many thanks to everyone.

2. IanG1957

One last thought regarding the treatment of RAW files - I use Lightroom, so I strongly suspect (I have yet to test this) that my RAW files can be read and displayed using the Lightroom Mobile app which is free - like I said, I have yet to test this...

Looks like it's going to be an interesting weekend here!

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't followed the LR mobile development but it might expect the files to be "in the cloud". I'd check before you go away.

IanG1957 likes this.
  4. IanG1957

Yes - I most certainly will....:)

OK - I have tried the process on my Samsung phone. I was able to copy a RAW file from the card/card reader onto the phone using FILE MANAGER + (free version)

When I opened Lightroom and selected the file, it copied it to the cloud, and I was able to open the RAW file and 'manipulate' it (Which I'm not really interested in doing - aside from perhaps creating a jpeg for Instagram) but it proves that LR does NOT directly open the file.

However, FILE VIEWER or indeed Google Photos found and opened the file, which is essentially all I need while I'm away - I'll leave image treatment to the desktop at home.

So the system seems to work - the copy process was very fast, and I'm able to create folders and preview the images, which is what I was looking for.

I will now test to see if I can output a simple jpeg using Google Photos etc. but all in all, I've the system I need.

Thanks again everyone

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  5. IanG1957

PS There's also the free PHOTOSHOP app which will open RAW files...