1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Holiday Backup

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by IanG1957, May 30, 2019.

1. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

The holiday season will soon be upon us, and I can't help thinking that I'm not the only person in the following predicament: what to do when your camera body uses 'exotic' memory cards (XQD) and your on-the-go backup system (Hyperdrive UDMA3) only accepts SD and CF and you're away from your computer for a few days?

I'm leaning towards a Samsung tablet which has the possibility to have a 512Gb micro-SD card which would certainly be adequate for downloading my RAW images - but I've never actually seen this done.

Has anyone here had any experience of copying the contents of a memory card (in an USB card reader) to a tablet?

Grateful for any advice please...

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've no idea about tablets but if you need an excuse to get one it seems as good an idea as any. I've only got old ipad which doesn't support external memory. Otherwise get a portable HDD that can take the card directly. The first one I found in a quick search was this https://www.nextodi.com/products/nps-10/

3. IanG1957

Thank you - hadn't spotted that - shame that it's so new that A: no-one stocks it, and B: can't find a price (Europe)

Nice idea though

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Ah, the wonders of google. I also found reference to new drives from Western Digital, who apparently took over SanDisk, but not availability data.

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yes - I do it all the time. I use a dedicated CF only card reader connected by OTG cable to a Samsung Galaxy Tab with a bunch of 32GB to 64GB SD cards. On holiday I use it for daily backups. For some shoots (show jumping, dog shows, kite surfing etc.) I use it for on-site review as well as backup. The copy process is managed by File Manager + and the raw files are viewed using RawDroidPro.

I also have DNA direct tether software on the tablet for remote control of the camera - useful for tripod mounted shots, particularly macro. When tethered the files go directly to the tablet.

IanG1957 likes this.
  6. IanG1957

Thanks for that!

The OTG cable is mini (micro?) USB male to (normal) USB female ? (for the card reader)

File Manager + doesn't seem to be available for me....but I feel sure any reasonable File Manager app should do the trick.

What I really needed to know, you have answered - that it actually works - thank you very much. I don't really feel the need of a tablet - this said, for picture review it could be handy, particularly with the increased pixel density on more recent tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab A). The thing that interests me more is the fact that it takes a microSD of up to 512 which could be very useful during an extended stay away from the house/desktop computer.

The alternative option, previously mentioned (Nextodi NS-10) is also very attractive, but also likely to be twice as expensive (when it's finally available) ...decisions decisions!

;)

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I take my old MacBook Air with a 1TB USB hard disk and a SD reader. Simple and effective.

8. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Well-Known Member

I read this topic with interest, but I remain confused: if the camera uses XQD card but all the other devices use SD, how is the problem resolved (leaving aside the tethering option)?

9. Andrew Flannigan

If you use a laptop then you can use the tethering option which is even better. There are probably some tablets that can work that way though I haven't come across any myself.

10. IanG1957

Yeah....great idea...all that's missing for me is the "old MacBook Air" ;)

11. IanG1957

I was trying to find out if anyone had managed to use a conventional USB card reader (irrespective of card format) with a tablet. I tried some years ago and couldn't get the tablet to recognize the card in the reader.

The problem seems to have been solved, and for the most part, SD cards/readers are recognized, and the files can be copied. I would like to do this with my XQD cards to avoid taking a computer with me to store my daily stock of images (XQD cards are VERY expensive, and while most of us have pocketfuls of SD cards, the same cannot be said for XQD cards!)

Voilà

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am slightly surprised that you don't want to take a computer, I find them far to useful to be without one. However, I agree that XQD cards are far too expensive to keep many spares, I have just the two of them, fortunately my D4 also takes a CF card.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  13. IanG1957

I frankly can't be bothered to drag a computer around with me - I'm on holiday after all (and I live and breathe computers for the rest of the year, so it's nice to get away) and I just want a simple way to unload my memory cards so that I can continue using them the next day. My faithful Hyperdrive does exactly what I need - but only for CF/SD cards. Sadly the Z 6 is turning out so well, and does pretty much everything I need, I don't think I'll be traveling with anything else - so XQD is, for me, the only way.

Obviously the next generation mobile hard-drive (NS-10) seems to be the way to go, but as I previously stated, if I can download to a microSD via a tablet I get a larger screen to look at the images AND it's quite a lot less expensive overall. If I go the whole hog and get a tablet with 4G (20€ more expensive than WiFi only, here) and I'm prepared to pay for a SIM card I could even inundate Instagram from afar!!

14. Andrew Flannigan

I did more than 35 years at the sharp end and though I'm out now I feel lost on holiday without one. Everyone's different. :cool:

15. SqueamishOssifrage

Yes - male micro to standard USB female.
    I have tried several, and this seems to be the best, but since the Android file system has recently undergone some substantial changes, it may have been removed from the Play store.
    For my tablet - Galaxy Tab S2 - the largest micro SD card it takes is 128GB.

IanG1957 likes this.
  16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I, sort of, understand that but the difference between a tablet and a, physically, small computer is isn't huge. However, if you don't want to carry one, or don't have anything small enough to meet your requirements, I can see that your options are limited.

17. IanG1957

Purely for information, the most recent Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2019 (T510/T515) takes a microSD max 512Gb

To my wallet it's humongous ;)

Thank you all for your input - much appreciated.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Ah, I hadn't thought that you were expecting to buy something, sorry.
    What ever you do, enjoy your holiday.

19. IanG1957

I have to admit I was rather hoping to avoid buying anything at all, but came to the inevitable conclusion that I would need some kind of equipment that, at present, I don't actually already own!

I don't need help in justifying a new purchase - I have this down to a fine art ;) I just wanted to limit the damage as much as possible.

I wonder if you'd be kind enough to give me the name of the editor of this app - I can then see if they propose anything similar - in my (limited) experience the liaison between tablets/computers is often not a physical problem, but more software related and if you've found an app which actually 'sees' the card in the reader, that's what I need!

20. SqueamishOssifrage

IanG1957 likes this.