1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

hiya photographer in training

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Danpots, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Danpots

Danpots Member

hi im danielle i am currently doing my level one and i finish the first week in august i have chosen 2 subjects for my final projects i have chosen to do portrait and abstract i have to do 10 images of each subject also health and safety for both and health and safety for working in a dark room what equipment i need and how i am going to take the picture just thought i would ask of any ideas anyone would have for abstract images i've tried a few but there not the best i had loads of ideas witch i should of noted down but now my minds gone blank anyone do abstract photography and give me a bit of help please? og also i have the cannon 1100D with a 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens i also have a hd wide angle uv filter and a polarized filter

2. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Welcome to the forum Danielle.

There are plenty here who have knowledge worth tapping into, and opinions worth seeking out, and there are some who know bugger all (you'll work out who's who over time, I'm sure).

Photographically, I fall into the latter group. ;)

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, Danielle, and welcome to the AP forums.

Just a gentle suggestion, but punctuation, spacing, and paragraphs etc. do make a post easier to read, and if people can read your posts more easily, they're more likely to reply and give you the help you're looking for...

(Not that I claim to be perfect at this! :) )

I think of abstacts as anything that doesn't have an immediately recognisable subject, but might have interesting combinations of colours, patterns, or textures. A little while ago there was a series by various people of close up shots of rusty metal, I think in the Appraisal Gallery.

4. Danpots

Danpots Member

i am dyslexic

5. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

It's always possible but the word structure and spelling you used suggests otherwise.

For those interested, this page illustrates typical dyslexic sentence structure and spelling when typing: https://www.ghotit.com/2011/01/examples-dyslexia-errors/#b

6. Danpots

Danpots Member

lol so your calling me a liar because i use spell check so i don't look like a complete idiot

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

So am I

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

You'll have to point out the word liar in my post. I seem to have missed it.

As RogerMac has written, he is dyslexic and yet his writing is as clear and well punctuated as that of anyone I've come across.

9. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Heh heh heh.

Show me an example of a 'typical' dyslexic. I'll give you three tries, go on. Here are my 3: Einstein, Eddie Izzard and Whoopi Goldberg... If those three are typical I bet Izzard is a demon at Sudoku... But then it does not quite work like that, does it?

I myself was statemented 'pattern dyslexic' in 1998, I was retested again in 2009 with a battery of children's tests which I aced as they were for 8 to 14 year olds and I was 26 (the test chap even admitted they were out of their depth testing an adult) and tested again with an adults battery of tests in 2013 while at university, the latest of which indicated I was in "less than the bottom 1 percentile" of all people ever tested for auditory memory processing speed, which let me tell you is embarrassing as all ****, less than the bottom 1%? That pretty much means "you are the worst person ever to take this test". A statement is about as close as you are going go get to being qualified at sucking at so called 'typical' life, although they were officially retired in the educational setting, the tests are still carried out if you require assistance.

Now, the reason I bring this up is do you know what pattern dyslexia is? No? Neither do I, and I've apparently got it. I can see patterns, so that's nonsense, but have trouble spelling the word biskit, but this is only ever apparent when someone points it out. I'm sure Roger has a different lable, and I expect DanPot, too. There is no such thing as a 'typical' dyslexic just as there is no such thing as a 'typical' person. Look at the back of your hand. What do you see? Is it 'typical'? The bluey veins in the back of mine spell VW so unless yours do I would guess not.

The examples in that link there may apply to about 20% of suffers, but then it may apply to even less, but they more than likely are just a marketing ploy to make people believe they have a problem which needs correcting by buying this software. See the comments on that very Page "I was never diagnosed but have always been criticised..." etc. What a nonsense. No offence - I am trying to keep my lid on ;)

When I was a teenager as DanPot appears to be, doing their exams at the moment, I was not as fluent and capable as I am now. We develop coping strategies, for instance the back of my had is written on at least once a day.

A famous person once said "You don't outgrow dyslexia, you learn to negotiate it" - go through my list of forum posts and see how many get edits. More than average I'll tell you. I'm sure if Rogers version of dyslexia is the one which does actually effect his written communications, years of experience of having to deal with it may have helped out a bit. Only he can really say, and as said there is no one size fits all. It maybe he would be in the top 90% for auditory memory processing speed. Being dyslexic is not like being French.

From personal experience before I was statemented and got my lable to explain everything, I was branded 'slow', 'stupid', 'behind the rest of the class', 'lazy' and a 'liar' that I was not understanding in the same way as everyone else. I went on to get a first class degree, so my primary and secondary school teachers can, *ahem* swivel all the way to hell with knobs on. :eek:

Whoopi puts it well why persons with dyslexia may be a bit confrontational when questioned or doubted on the subject, as they would have had plenty of that already:

[video]https://youtu.be/ZWGINKlhst4?t=1m3s[/video]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  10. Sejanus.Aelianus

As so often before, I could well be wrong.

However, it looks to me like someone trying to show how cool they are, when posting on the internet. I find that irritating.

11. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

As could I. If there is one thing I have been taught it is "The only true wisdom consists in knowing get that you know nothing" (Socrates, bill and teds excellent adventure, 1989) :)

We're all different eh? I'm sure some find your frequent pictures with posts irritating but I find them wonderful :) as you say, it's a photography forum. What could be more natural?

12. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Sorry to hear that.

Nevertheless, it's an unfortunate fact of basic psychology that people will be more likely to offer help if they can read what you're asking for more easily.

So if you can do anything to help that, it will probably be worth it for you in the long run.

No criticism intended, just a hopefully constructive suggestion about getting the most from the forums.

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I've found out who said this - Henry Winkler, aka The Fonz from Happy days, being interviewed in an episode of BBC's Hardtalk. I think by negotiate he meant navigate... I'm always doing that, we knew what he meant :)

[video=youtube;RKXBiAMk4Kk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKXBiAMk4Kk[/video]

14. Danpots

Danpots Member

im not a teenager lol im 26 on monday and married with 2 kids just never realy had any sort of help with any of it and had my son at a young age and now trying to do something i enjoy with my life its the worse thing in the world when your 9 year old son can spell better than you and i am also going to do a maths and english course in my kids school so hopefully get some help with learning how to deal with it

15. Danpots

Danpots Member

2 days on this forum 2 posts and had mostly nasty comments on my posts i came on here for help and advice i'm not the brightest person in the world and yes i already know that no need to keep reminding me and this has really upset me so i think i will leave this page and just go with what i think is best but would like to thank the people that have tried to help me