1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Quality Compact under 100 pounds

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by iMacfan, Mar 29, 2003.

1. iMacfan

iMacfan Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a good quality compact as a present. The person that I am buying it for is not particularly technically minded, so the perfect camera is fixed focal length, easy to use, with a high quality lens. My idea at the moment is an Olympus mju II - any rivals for under £100?

thanks,

David

2. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Not sure what is current spec but Yahica T4 or similar is excellent. Next Olympus MJU, fixed lens version.

Johnmac

3. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

Nope./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Rob FRIPN

If something isn't worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.

4. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

Rollei do a few quite low priced!
    AF 28(28mm lens) £24.99
    also 105 verson with 38-105 lens for about 50 quid and another more expensicve one around the 100 quid mark.

I will be rich and famous one day, just not today!

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There isn't a new version of the T4/T5, sadly. Th3e Mju II is the best (new) option by some way.

Nick BSRIPN

6. tamos

tamos Member

I've got a couple of Mju II. I've been very happy with them and they can be found for about £75 new.

7. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

I have a mu 2 110 zoom and a fixed lens version. I prefer the fixed lens version, but both give excellent results. The zoom button is a bit small if you have great big clumsy mits like me, but I can't think of anything better in compacts for that price - supposed to be fairly rain-proof too.

Wilko FRIPN

8. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

Just to add to this - I worked in a medium-sized Dixons store over xmas and I handled and used ona daily basis over 100 35mm compacts - the mju 2 is one of the smallest and lightest, and has a bright and sharp lens. Superb!

Rob FRIPN

If something isn't worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.

9. Simon E.

Simon E. Well-Known Member

Mju-II

I don't think anything can match the Mju-II for the price. It's not perfect, but I take it everywhere. The spotmeter is a godsend.

The link below is to a selection of photos taken with mine:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=191078

Simon.