1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Hi from windy Liverpool!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Ste James, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Ste James

Ste James New Member

Hi all,

Thought it only polite to introduce myself, so hello and Happy New Year, I'm Ste from Liverpool and only ever shot pictures with a simple point and shoot camera or iPhone.

Having decided to delve into a new hobby and learn a new skill I decided to buy myself a Nikon D3400 over the Christmas period and so far I am very pleased with my purchase. I have only had a small play around with the features in the house and I am impressed with how easy it is to pick up and use.

I am looking already at buying some further lenses to go with the 18-55mm that came with the camera. I have spotted a used Nikon 50mm F1.8 D which I like the look of and the reviews I'm reading make it sound like a wise purchase. I have also spotted both a Sigma 55-200mm F4/5.6 DC and a Tamron 28-200mm F3.8/5.6 Asperic AF, both again second hand and are both the same price.

I like the idea of landscape and architectural photography and living in the city I do, this is something we are not scarce of. I am also off to America next year on the scout jamboree (the reason for the purchase) so want something I can take good shots of action and adventure too, as well as the scenes and landscapes.

If it were your money, which one would you buy? I am swaying towards the Tamron but being new to the game can be talked down a different route by those more knowledgeable.

I am currently highest bidder on Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300mm F4.5/5.6G ED VR lens on ebay which I am hoping I will be outbid on to allow the purchase 2 of the above - again unless this is deemed the better option from experience in which case I'll keep bidding?!

I've also set up an instagram page (nothing on it yet, but I'm keen to get some of my pics up soon) - is it allowed to post the link here or add to signatures etc? Being presumptuous, if you search @sjphotos_liverpool then that's me!

Anyway, thanks for reading and Iook forward to your advice!

Ste

2. PC60

PC60 Active Member

Hi Ste

Welcome to the forum. I haven't been a member long and I am sure there more knowledgable folk than me who could help.

I am not that experienced with digital SLRs and find that they have too many menus settings and options. A new camera is always an adventure and your choice will always have plusses and minuses but the D3400 will be a good start I sure.

You lens queries are beyond my knowledge of brands. The zoom focal lengths are good for a range of photography. That said, if your city and landscape subjects are your primary choice I would probably have sought a quality wide angle lens initially.

Happy new year and enjoy yourself.

Phil

Ste James likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hallo, Ste.

You certainly do have some brilliant architecture in Liverpool. If you get into landscape, then no doubt we'll be seeing you in North Wales on a regular basis!

S

Ste James likes this.