1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from Uxbridge (UK) another newbie!!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by carlos32, Aug 13, 2011.

1. carlos32

carlos32 New Member

HI there

I'm a newbie to the forum and a relative newbie to photography having started to get into it last Summer, I initially started off on Olympus but have just moved to Nikon D90.

I enjoy trying to capture action shots (often practising on my labrador, Boston); landscapes and aviation (a bit of a plane spotter...helps being in the RAF to fulfil this aspect!!)

I look forward to all constructive criticism of any shots I put on here - I can only get better. So far, I am entirely self taught though hoping to get more experience and guidance next year from professionals if Santa grants my wish list!!

Look forward to chatting to you and learning more about the art of photography.

Carl :cool:

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Hi back. :)

You can if you wish take courses. But I suspect quite few have just picked up from experience. Like myself.

If you are doing for pure enjoyment and recreation then I see no reason you cannot just learn just by experience. You can of cause as well go along to your local library and check out a few books on the history of photography or go online and have a look and read at other work.

Flickr quite good because you can in some cases look at the EXIF data for a shot and see what setting gaves the effect and lenses used.

I try and do abit of airshow photography myself. Did abit to much at times so lately trying to broaden my subjects in the last few months. Especially as I changed my camera and that gives me a bit more scope for shooting other subjects.

I look forward to any posts you do in the Appraisal Gallery.

3. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Welcome. I used to live in Uxbridge!

I can recommend the photography courses at Uxbridge College. I think they are still tutored by Ray Higginbottom. Excellent teacher and all round nice guy.