1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from North Wales.

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Andy1175, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Andy1175

Andy1175 Well-Known Member

Hello all.

I bought my first real camera (a Zenit e) from my art teacher for £15 in 1976. Things have moved on a bit since then and I love the changes that the digital era has brought to photography, it's so much easier to learn from your mistakes, not to mention so much cheaper too. :) I've been severely sight impaired since birth and photography has always given me a way to see things through my photographs which I couldn't see otherwise, especially since going digital.

I photograph anything and everything, with a particular liking for cloudscapes.

Look forward to chatting with and learning form you all.

Oh, I don't seem to be able to change my avatar picture, do I need to have x number of posts or something first? Thanks.

Andy

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Welcome Andy. I look forward to seeing some of your cloudscapes. I'm sitting under a blanket of pure grey at the moment with forecast fog!

3. Andy1175

Thanks Pete. I'm just down the road from you and I have some nice sunshine, well they say that the sun always shines on the righteous. :)
    Ooh fog, train stations in thick-ish fog look beautiful, hope it rolls my way.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Lovely and sunny on Anglesey!

Hallo Andy.

S

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If you started with a Zenit E you won't be one of the people who post entries like 'what does the lens aperture do' on the Forum, so welcome. I was going to buy a new Zenit E in 1972 with earnings from a school holiday job (£30, or 3 weeks earnings assembling transformers), but got a discontinued Exakta instead for £50 and a loan from my father. He didn't like me buying a German camera, but was convinced it would be better than a Soviet one.

If you are serious about cloudscapes, look for a decent wide angle lens. You don't says what camera you have, but if you have an APS-C DSLR look for a secondhand Sigma 10-20 mm lens. Mine has a circular ND graduated filter that is used for 99% of my outdoor shots (below). Once you have been a member for a few days you should be able to upload some of your cloudscapes to the AP gallery.

IMGP0214 800.jpg

John Farrell likes this.
  6. Andy1175

I know that Zenit tend to get a lot of stick, but it served me well for a decade or so, went everywhere with me and got a bit of rough treatment along the way. I've now got a 1300D, 80D, and am currently awaiting the arrival of a new 5D Mk IV, I'm quite excited. :) I've got the canon EFS 10-18 which isn't too bad, but I'll be looking for a full frame equivalent.

Thanks for the circular ND graduated filter advice, it's on my ever increasing list.

7. PeteRob

The 16-35 F4 L is good. I p/exed my 17-40 F4 L for one. The 17-40 isn't bad if you avoid compositions with important close detail in the corners. At one (long) time (ago) it seemed that almost every magazine-published wide-angle landscape was taken with it.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 16-35 f4 L is bloody marvellous. Truly excellent lens. The 17-40 is ok if stopped down to at least f8, with that caveat about the corners.

9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

A circular glass ND graduated filter is an endangered species because of all the reviews of the ones that are used in holders that attach to the front of the lens. These are also advertised a lot. I tried one of these on my Sigma 10-20 in 2011, and got very frustrated with dust, and flare on the large flat surface due to the lack of a lens hood. Eventually I found these at Premier Ink, and paid £30 for a 77 mm one. The first one I got was faulty, but as I would expect from somebody who advertises regularly in AP, a replacement was sent immediately along with postage-paid return packing. This has been in regular use ever since with Sigma's lens hood attached in front of it.

https://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photo...er=Graduated&len_type_filter=Circular+Filters

As you will see from this, it appears that Premier Ink have new dropped this range, but if you can use the 86 mm one it is a small amount to risk for experimenting with (they also sell stepping rings). From use, I believe it's a 'soft' ND grad with 1.5 or 2 stops reduction from the edge to the centre over half its area. Since it's a soft ND graduated filter I have successfully used it with shots with horizons in various positions, and even sloping (it's easy to rotate a little if required).

Also, with the Sigma 10-20, a polarising filter is useless at the wide end of the zoom. Because of the angle of view the effect is not even across the sky, but the ND graduated filter it is. I had previously purchased a polarising filter after reading an AP article, which was an expensive mistake for a 77 mm one.

This is an example of a shot taken at 10 mm which would not work with a polarising filter, but does with the ND grad. It's one of the ones in my AP gallery. The man in the shot had a nice full-frame Canon and very big lens, and spent ages looking at every shot immediately after he had taken it, hence the title of the picture.

Checking if the horizon is level.jpg

Andy1175 likes this.
  10. Andy1175

Thanks for the recommendation, I look forward to trying it so I'll put one on my Christmas list.

11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Is it really head and shoulders above the 17-40l?

There is currently a very good deal on the 16-35l and I'm tempted but need to act fast.

12. PeteRob

I'd say so.

Bazarchie likes this.
  13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes. Great at every aperture and every focal length, and decent IS too. One of my favourite lenses.

Bazarchie likes this.
  14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Sharpness
    While the 16-35mm ƒ/4L is indeed a sharp lens -- sharper than the 16-35mm ƒ/2.8L -- it only produces tack-sharp results on a crop-sensor camera body. On a full-frame body, it does not feature a combination of aperture and focal length that provides corner-to-corner, tack-sharp results. It gets very close, but not quite.

Do you agree with this?

15. PeteRob

It is better than the 17-40. You are bound to get more difference between edge and centre performance as focal length reduces. The 17-40 and 16-35 aren't that much different bang in the middle. I don't have a Canon APS-C so I can't make the proper comparison which is edge of the 16-35 on FF vs edge of a 10-22 on APS-C. The main thing is not to put an importantly detailed subject right in the corner of the frame.

Bazarchie likes this.
  16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No.

17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Agreed. Mine's as sharp as a knife across the image on my 6D.