1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi From Kent

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by lardenr, Jul 23, 2011.

1. lardenr

lardenr Member

Hi, just joined up, as want to get back into photography more. I am a newbie to the Digital SLR, as I'm just going to purchase one. Although I used to be into the old 35mm Slr's.

I have a bid going on with Ebay at the moment for a Canon EOS 350D, but I don't expect to win, in which case I want to purchase a new one. My Budget is 300.00 and I have in idea a Nikon D3000(Amazon) or a Sony A290(Jessops). Any recommendations on this?

Thanks

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Hi back. :)

What 35mm film SLR have you used?

I suspect that either of the dSLR you have listed will do the job nicely.

I not sure about the 350D because it is only 8MP. I assum it has more than just the kit lens I hope. :)

3. lardenr

lardenr Member

Hi,

It was years ago, but I had a Russian Zenith from when I was a Kid that my dad bought me, and years later my Parents had bought me a Centon. Not two of the biggest names, but used to take very good photo's.

The camera I have bid on as a 18-55mm lens, the same as the other 2 that I may get.

4. P_Stoddart

Same here. Had the Zenith then moved a MTL3/5 later. Last film camera was the Pentax MZ-5.

I hope you have not bidded to high for the 350D. I think the A290 14MP is abit more useful because of post shot cropping.

Personally I like the new CSC cameras. Aiming to get a Panasonic G in the future like say the G10.

But the dSLRs you have picked will all do the job.

Wasn't your old Centon a minolta mount? Sony dSLRs use minolta lenses they bought their technology.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. lardenr

lardenr Member

No, I havn't bidded too high for the Ebay bid, which is why I think I will lose the bid.

I think if I lose the bid, then I will go for the Sony, and pick it up from my Local Jessops.

Yes I think the Centon was a Minolta Mount, I remember getting a couple of these lenses for it.

Thanks for the advise.

6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Centon weren't just Minolta mount, they were Minolta clones licence-built in China. I believe they were a Jessops own brand, much as Prinz were Dixons. The Centon manuals are quite funny - they are the identical text to the Minolta ones, with the badges changed on the illustrations, and all the Japanese people replaced by Chinese ones!

Adrian

7. P_Stoddart

Just checking, you understand about crop sensor cameras? ie that the lens you buy is multiplied by the size of the sensor.

The kit lens is 18-55mm which works out the 27-82.5mm if it was on a 35mm film camera. Very useful for action because a 300mm end up at 450mm.

By the way the A290 has anti-shake built in to it body via sensor shift (minolta tech)

The D3000 has it in the lenses I believe.

8. lardenr

lardenr Member

Hi Many thanks for the advice. No I didn't know about the crop sensor, so found something out new today! Will bear all of this in mind! The Sony is looking to be a good option!

9. P_Stoddart

As far as I know all the consumer dSLR are crop sensor, basically half the size of a 35mm frame. Only a few pro cameras like say the D3x from Nikon have a sensor the same size as a piece of 35mm film.

Sony make one call the A900 they did have a A850 model but have stopped production.

10. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi,

the 350D is a 1.6x crop sensor - I used to have one and found it quite small to handle. Piccies were OK though, 8M OK unless you want to print the images bigger than A3. ;)

Lisa.