1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from Kent UK

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Artylarry, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Artylarry

Artylarry Well-Known Member

Hi all, I made the mistake of buying a bridge camera, Fuji HS10 Which I brought of the back of good reviews stating it is ideal started for someone who would like to try photography and not point and shoot.
    It took good pics as long as u didnt use auto and your subjects stood still in the sunlight?
    3 months on I have sold it and brought a Canon 1000d and am over the moon.
    I have kit lens and Sigma 75-300 DG Macro. I am also going to buy a 50mm 1.8 prime.
    I am going to be looking for tips here there and everywhere, and who knows may be giving my own advice soon.
    Kev

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome :)

Hope your brave and post some shots in the Appraisal Gallery. :D

I think your abit harsh on the HS10 there (not a user). I've seen some quite acceptable shots on Flickr from the camera.

Of cause a bridge is less to carry. But you don't get something for nothing. Although dSLR have got a bit lighter over the last few years. But a dSLR with same reach is not going to be under a 1KG and certainly not 640g. :)

3. Artylarry

Artylarry Well-Known Member

Hi P_stoddart, yes it would b harsh in general to say that about hs10, however I did mean in terms of what I wished to use it for it was a mistake. I am over the moon with my dslr now and if all the hs10 did was to show me I would b justified spending the extra money I have now then it was worth it. I have some cool shots on Flickr from hs10 and 1000d(for a beginner) .
    With me being absolute beginner how would you rate your experience?
    I would love to post some shots for people to critique.
    Regards
    Keven

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Of what? Living on planet earth? :D

If you mean am I a beginner? I like to think not as I have shot on film SLRs and medium format in the past. but I would say I am still learning as photography is a moving target so to speak. :)

Because of funds :(

I use a bridge camera these days but managed to get the Fujifilm s100fs which is the very big brother of the HS10.

Has the largest sensor of any of the bridge cameras so high ISO not too bad. I have now starting shooting much more in raw mode which helps squeeze performance out of the s100fs. My previous cameras were just too slow at raw mode.

To be honest if I get the chance to upgrade I would look at a 4/3 CSC camera like a Lumix G1/G10 because I like being more mobile. I don't mind EVFs. :)

I have posted some images on the Appraisal Gallery over the last year if you are interested.

5. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi Kev,

welcome to the forum. :)

6. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Kev to AP