1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heybridge again

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Dan S, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I gave this a warm darker treatment, what do you think?

[​IMG]basin by Dan, on Flickr

alfbranch and AndyTake2 like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Very nice. I'd reduce the vignetting on the bottom two corners. It might be "real" because of the way the light falls, but it looks false.

I was just about to hit "post reply" when I wondered if you had put a radial filter in the middle and tapered the sides off . I wondered this because the vignette goes a bit higher in the frame than I'd expect. If this is the case, ease off the darkening a bit. I can almost convince myself that I can see a circular radial filter mask entered at where the sun reflection starts, just to the right of the tip of the trawler mast reflection.

3. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

Yes, I see it, thanks. I actually used a brush to darken but I think I added a vignette too.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I like that.
    I'd lose the bit of the boat on the far right of the image though, as it tends to make my eyes wander to it.

Dan S likes this.
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    Reminds me of distant nights spent on my Dads old boat.
    It would be better with a more appropriate foreground, all the clutter on my desk somewhat ruins the effect :(

Dan S likes this.
  6. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I did wonder that. I think I can probably crop it a little to cut it out.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The warm treatment works. Quite Turneresque As photographers we take things as they are. I would prefer another Thames barge instead of the plastic yacht but realise that that is a bit too much to ask,
    A very nice atmospheric shot.

Dan S likes this.