1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey folks

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by dazdmc, Dec 21, 2019.

1. dazdmc

dazdmc Active Member

I used to be in here a long time ago, so long ago in fact that I was still printing my work in the darkroom. House moves, children and a wife that doesn't like the smell of the chemicals put an end to my hobby and I couldn't justify the expense of digital. I bridged the gap with a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ45 which has now been handed over to my eldest daughter, she has also managed to blag some of my film kit and I am trying to teach her about fstops, shutter speed and how to use a light meter, kids these days are so used to point and shoot, let the electronics do the work!
    15 years later I have taken the plunge into digital and find myself back in here. I have to say it's a pretty steep learning curve but one that I am enjoying. I have the camera basics down and am just starting to delve into the processing side which I have to admit I am hating every minute of!!! I have also discovered that my newly aquired DSLR was pretty much much useless for IR B+W :-( So after much investigation I have also aquired a DSLR that has been converted for IR use :)

I'm really enjoying photography again and am looking forward to bugging you all stupid with questions that have been asked so many times before, I will however try and use the search function as much as possible ;-)

cheers

daz

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Welcome back. The processing side is as much or a as little as you want to make it really. Some folk go for the camera direct output while others save the raw files and do the "developing" themselves. Dry printing is a lot less smelly than wet printing and a lot more convenient even if less magic for mono.

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome re-aboard.

4. dazdmc

dazdmc Active Member

Cheers PeteRob,
    I only hate it because i'm finding it quite complicated! My cameras are set to give me pretty much what I want straight off the card and the pictures don't need much processing. The main problem is finding a program that is simple to use and does just what I need. I've downloaded quite a few and so far they are mostly either way more complex than I need or don't do what I want. I'll get there eventually though.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I use Adobe Lightroom (LR) for four reasons. The first is the organisation of pictures. It is a storage system as well as an image processing system so the ability to keyword, search and find is very useful. I'm not that prolific a photographer, nevertheless I have nearly 22,000 digital images in the system going back to 2007. Second is the ability to post images to the web, particularly Flickr, at little more than the press of a button once configured. The conversion to sRGB and imaging resizing is all preconfigured. I used Flickr as my photo-index before I used LR because it allowed keywording and grouping by subject. Thirdly I use it for raw conversion (I only keep raw files) and processing. I use both Canon and Fuji cameras so I can do everything in one place rather than using two sets of custom software. Fourthly I can print directly from LR, the print module is quite good.

There was a lot of fuss about LR going to monthly subscription. In the end I paid. I evaluated OnOne (2018) as an alternative and it is not bad. There is lots on the forums about alternatives to LR.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. dazdmc

dazdmc Active Member

I'm busy playing with Faststone at the moment. So far it has what I need and isn't proving too difficult to get to grips with it.
    Should have really put the gear I am using into the first post?
    After many, many hours of looking and comparing I ended up getting a Nikon D5300. It is more than adequate for my needs and the 5fps is what eventually swayed me over other brands/models in the same price bracket. The only problem with the lower price bracket is the lack of buttons for direct control, lots of stuff requires delving into menus. Not too big a deal though as I set most of this up beforehand. I got the 18-55 DX VR kit lens with it and then bought the 35mm 1.8 AF-S, followed by the 70-300 DX VR. These three lenses should cover me for just about everything I want.
    I also managed to pick up a brand new, unused and boxed SB-400 flash. The on camera flash works really well but I wanted bounce flash and the wee SB-400 fitted the bill.
    I have just added a Nikon D70s that has been converted with a 720nm filter for infrared, at present the only lens I have which works with it is the 35mm AF-S but I am on the lookout for an 18-55 ED ii to have on it permanently. Have had to adjust the focus in the D70s as I didn't realise there was a focus shift with the IR, took quite a while to get it right and might have to do it all over again when I eventually fit the 18-55 on it.