1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Everyone.

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Nick Chilton, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Nick Chilton

Nick Chilton New Member

Hi guys and girls, new to this forum so a little bit about me.

I started photography around 8 years ago but quit as I couldn’t drive, transport was costing too much and I wasn’t getting the use out my gear..

Started it back up at the start of last year and I’m absolutely loving it, I’m more of a nature/wildlife photographer but I’d photograph anything.

I’ve never entered any competitions before but at the start of this year I though I’m going to start! Gives me something extra to take photos.

I heard about AP of the year contest which lead to me this site as I’d love to enter, when does it become open to upload images?

Thanks for taking your time to have a read :)

Kind Regards
    Nick

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum Nick. I'm not sure when POTY opens, but good luck if you enter.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. They should be announcing APOY soon. There are several rounds so it can't be too long as we are in Month 3 of the year already. These days it is run on another web-site - I think it is called Photo-crowd but I may be remembering incorrectly. I'd expect the announcement to appear on the news page of the main AP web-site. AP Magazine will have both the full details and a free entry code for one picture. These days people can pay to enter more than one picture per round but they can only get points for one. There are informal competitions on this web-site - prize is that the winner sets the next subject.

4. Nick Chilton

Nick Chilton New Member

Thank you! :)
    Nick

Yeah I saw that there’s some on the forum, they look fun and I’ll definitely be entering some of those :)

As for the main one, is it say a round per month? And each month you get 1 free entry?

Thanks
    Nick

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

6. PeteRob

Yes, that’s how it works. The code for the free entry is I think published in the AP edition announcing the round. I haven’t paid that much attention.

7. PeteRob

Suggests the announcement is two weeks off. AP publication dates are for the Saturday after the magazine comes out, which is Tuesday in the shops and the previous Saturday for subscribers (though mine hasn’t turned up yet)

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

9. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Hi Nick, and welcome aboard the Forum

Unlike APOY the monthly comp is a very light hearted affair and just for enjoyment with no prizes offered beyond the winner having to chose the next theme and also judge it. Some say that the smart money aims to come second! Last month I miss-judged it and picked up the poisoned chalice myself. Theme this month is Cargoes - that is things, people etc. that get moved around but not the vehicles that do the moving. Enter as many times as you like but try not to repeat yourself.

Good luck - I look forward to seeing you in my short list at the end of the month

10. Nick Chilton

Nick Chilton New Member

Tuesday being today? As I went out and got the March edition of AP?

Thanks
    Nick

Ahh, thank you for the link!
    Nick

Oooooo I’ll take a look! Have no clue on what photo I could use haha ;) I guess that’s the whole fun of it :)

Thanks
    Nick

11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

AP's a weekly. You're just a week too late for a really interesting piece on using box cameras, y'know...

RogerMac and dream_police like this.
  12. Nick Chilton

Nick Chilton New Member

Oh is it?! I never knew that! Don’t buy many magazines haha :) so I’m guessing it may be in next weeks or something? When does it get released each week? Tuesday’s in the shops?

Thanks
    Nick