1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's some politics for you.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John Farrell, Sep 16, 2021.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I had no idea that you were so eloquent in French, Martin. :D

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Is this a sort of game of french whispers where we go through Google translate. And why does my spelling checker whinge about "french" but accept "French"? When I write I decide what words are worthy of initial capitals.
    The allegro was so bad that the Chinese did not copy it.

3. peterba

Macron should have punched him on the nose. That ****ing stupid smirk on BoJo's face really warrants a bunch of fives.

Edit: Obviously I don't condone violence.*

*Except in the case of smug, over-privileged idiots.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly true in both directions... :cool:

Learning likes this.
  5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

As the late Roy Kinnear would have said, "To the water, it's heavy"......
    ("motto" of the French Navy, according to Roy)

(and the Chinese didn't copy the 2CV either, to the best of my knowledge)

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Motto of French Navy; it's time to (go to) the water .....a l'eau c'est l'heure

7. Learning

The Renault four was not bad. I had one in Kenya. It ran out of power above 10,000ft and the A pillar cracked after a few years abuse. It was quite surprising where you could get to in a Ro-Ho..

Zou likes this.
  8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Let’s be honest. It doesn’t take much to upset the French. They make a profession of being upset. They get upset with each other. All it’ll need is a couple of slaps and kisses and all will be well :)

Learning likes this.
  9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

So that's where Ian Fleming got the idea from...

10. Learning

Up to you, but I'm not kissing them. (in general that is; there might be exceptions.)
    No. Accidents happen. When it comes to nuclear- you don't want them in your own back yard.

11. peterba

Oi! I object. I'm part French (albeit, only about 0.00015% ;)), and I'm an absolute picture of calm and serenity. o_O

dangie likes this.
  12. peterba

Why were you flying a car?

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here?
    Why are the French pissed off with us? We've signed up to allow the Aussies access to some tech, but it is the US that is going to be building and selling the subs.
    Perhaps the French are just picking on the weird kid now that he's out of the classroom, and doesn't want to go face the big boy from the other school:D

14. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The Aussies signed a contract with a French company to spend 90 billion dollars buying French submarines. Now they've changed their mind, scrapped the contract, and gone elsewhere. Boris's mob helped the Aussies out...

15. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Well they do still belong to us don’t they?

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Maybe BoJo hasn't been trying to get a trade deal with NZ - either that or your PM has just told him to go forth and multiply:p
    I think the biggest factor is likely to have been that the US wanted to sell a few billion dollars worth of gear, and as BoJo desperately wants a trade deal with the US, promptly stuck his tongue down the back of Biden's shorts in the hope that it would help seal the deal.
    Why the half-wit thought that not bringing NZ on board was a good idea is beyond reason...but then again, so is BoJo:confused:

17. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

We have this antinuclear law - nuclear powered ships not welcome.

WillieJ and steveandthedogs like this.
  18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Probably because they weren't able to piss us off first.

19. Learning

There used to be a good vehicular track up onto Shira Plateau (Kilimanjaro) which ended at about 3500 metres. It was not steep.
    I often drove up to a clearing on the Naro Moru track on Mt Kenya. That was at about 9000 ft.

20. Learning

The French wanted to supply obsolete diesel-electric subs and stood to make a nice profit. Macron has had a tantrum. Boris spouting Churchillian Franglais at him has not improved Macron's temper.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.