1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's some politics for you.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John Farrell, Sep 16, 2021.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Um, not that large, less dangerous than most red dwarfs, and more yellow-white, as it's a G2v star. If you want orange then you need a late K type.

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

But fairly large and dangerous, on a human scale, Dave! ;) Though not - I'll grant you - as orange as Chump. :D

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Mother Nature is absolutely incompetent at designing and implementing anything. 99% of the species of this planet are now extinct. Those that remain are so heavily modified from the original design to be unrecognizable from their originator. The whole of Mother Natures plan is to keep making countless absolutely random changes in the hope that one may work.

MN gets a fail, a definite fail, in D&I 101.

4. peterba

Nope - that's all in her 'design'. ;) If she has made one notable balls-up, it was in creating a meddling, self-important creature which frequently steps outside all logic, and fights among its own - for all sorts of abstract reasons. While the natural world's disputes are generally related to survival (food, territory, breeding), this ludicrous creature fights for all sorts of reasons - including (bizarrely) over the belief in some sort of Deity....... which has never revealed itself, but over the existence of which, some will fight to the point of self-destruction. :confused:

BTW, excellent Ezra Solomon quote. :)

frank1 likes this.
  5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

There is no design - just quantum field theory and all it entails, most noticeably the vacuum energy, plus the second law of thermodynamics. All else is myth and hubris.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it - we're well on the road to self extinction, and the planet will give huge sigh of relief.

As Mona Lott said, "It's being so cheerful that keeps me going." :D

peterba likes this.
  6. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Some other politics.

Austin brexit.jpeg

AndyTake2, peterba, DaveM399 and 3 others like this.
  7. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

BL strikes back...

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The Allagro... The car that was going to be a European export success and fend off the Japanese invasion. Unfortunately due to BL economics they had to use existing parts inventory, so it looks nothing like the original concept drawings.

10. WillieJ

The car made from a parts bin.

AndyTake2 and peterba like this.
  11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've always taken the view that, bad as it may have been, it must have been better than Hillman's Avenger.

I was once part of a team that picked up eleven of the things from the factory. Only seven of them got to our offices, 25 miles away, under their own power and three of those failed in various ways in the first month. :(

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nobody could ever spell the name correctly it was the Allagro because it was that bad.

I have only ever owned two British cars, a Mini back in the 1970s and a Jaguar XF in 2014 (for 11 months). The Mini was my first car, it worked but I had a replacement drive shaft and once had to dry out the distributor because it was so poorly positioned. The Mini was/is a marmite car you either love it or hate it! I replaced it with a Renault 12 and stayed with Renaults for 12 years before switching to Saabs. I thought the XF would be different from the Mini, it wasn’t. Despite the 40 years between them the basics hadn’t been sorted out. Switches where they couldn’t be seen, an assumption that what you had bought was all you could want and a, for me, poor driving position. I doubt I will have another British car.

13. Andrew Flannigan

We ran Saabs for several years, starting with a 99 (which we ran for fourteen years) and ending with a 9-3 convertible. It wasn't that the marque deteriorated with time but that other makers improved more quickly.

Saab 9-3 front 5D CL7594.JPG

14. peterba

I think I'd actually prefer to drive the parts bin. :eek:

DaveM399 likes this.
  15. WillieJ

That would certainly be less embarrasing.

peterba likes this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Wouldn't be as comfortable, unless you stuffed a good mattress in it ;)

peterba likes this.
  17. peterba

At least it wouldn't have the square steering wheel...! :eek:

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

In many respects, you're right but in others nobody has quite got there. For example every other manufacturer uses blind-spot radar where Saab simply curved the end of the mirror (the fact that this is illegal in the USA doesn't help). With daylight running lights, Saab had the sidelights on as well so there were lights at the back, if you take a 2009 9-5 you can easily add DRFs that do just that. Other manufacturers now restrict the engine choices available to anyone wanting a manual gear box, something Saab never tried to do, really frustrating.

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

peterba likes this.