1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's some politics for you.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John Farrell, Sep 16, 2021.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

All I know is that Derbyshire is a nuclear free zone (apart from all the hospital x-ray departments and Rolls Royce)
    Once it becomes clear that the bomb will go off as it were ,I am making that 20 minute journey just to be safe

peterba likes this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Would that be a 20 minute journey to the hospital - or at least, the place where the hospital used to stand? :eek:

spinno likes this.
  3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The twenty minute journey gets me 50 metres or 55 yards inside Derbyshire. If that's near the hospital it's been nice knowing you all...

peterba likes this.
  4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I see you're obediently toeing the government line ;), David, by including the imperial measurement (c.f. Martin's post in the WGYG thread). :D

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

So none of the atoms in Derbyshire have nuclei? What complete and utter clap trap, you cannot be a Nuclear Free zone how ever hard you try, the fact that atoms have nuclei aside, there are unstable elements in many rocks, one being coal, and there are coal reserves in Derbyshire. Bismuth, used to make fishing weights is technically unstable as is every material with a higher atomic number than Lead.

spinno and DaveS like this.
  6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Everything is radioactive if it has potassium 40 or carbon 14 in it.
    Which means every living creature.

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

China has been concentrating on its home waters for some time now. It does not need large numbers of nuclear subs for defence, or use in the south China sea.
    If it thinks that it will need more it will build them. That is also the reason it only has two aircraft carriers.
    However it has built a number of strategic artificial islands with runways and infrastructure. Which are unsinkable.

They can reach as far as Guam and Australia with guided missiles. So they effectively control their waters already.

I am afraid Australia would be totally out classed in any conflict.

A better strategy would be to not antagonise China OR be seen by them as any sort of threat, or too closely allied with the USA.

8. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Meanwhile Vlad is getting his minions working out what opportunities this presents for him.

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

And we have 50 more tied up and waiting for their nuclear units to be salvaged. And processed.
    We are a joke. We have not managed to do one yet, as we do not have sufficient money to do so.

10. WillieJ

Given that Australia would be outclassed in any conflict then the deal makes sense for it. China is currently intent on expanding locally. China plays long games. Do you really think (at least with its current leaqdership) it will ever have enough?

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  11. WillieJ

Failure to properly decommission toxic waste while creating more is not a symptom of lack of resource but rather of lack of resolve. Politicians are temporary. The current lot inherited the problem from their predecessors and have every intention of leaving it for their own successors.
    Anyone daft enough to think nuclear power is a green solution should ask themselves what their solution is for dealing with the radioactive waste both the directly hot and that contaminated by proximity.

12. WillieJ

I keep trying to tell herself I am hot stuff.;)

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Absolutely Zou San. Why the heck do you think we built our sub base in Western Scotland?
    Following the same reasoning I would have preferred Devonport. As a soft mountaineer I love Western Scotland. Wonderful little mountains with all the challenges of big mountain ranges accept for easy access.
    I am well aware of Chernobyl and Three mile something or other. Nuclear accidents so far have not had a universal effect. Of course nuclear accidents will happen. accidents happen in all industries. As far as I am concerned nuclear accidents are inevitable but not too damaging provided that they are a long way from me.

14. Learning

This is a national disgrace. Old nuclear reactors have lots of nasties like Plutonium 239.( I am aware of lighter nasties). We should be consuming the nasty stuff in mixed oxide reactors. We have the technology so why aren't we doing it? I guess money comes into it.

15. WillieJ

The only safe fast breeder is a rabbit.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I think the Aussies might have other opinions on that.

WillieJ likes this.
  17. Learning

The fast breeder reactor was safe. The product was unsafe. The unsafe product was consumed to make green energy and became safe or at least safe-ish. Presently we do not have reactors using plutonium 239 as fuel but every conventional nuclear reactor is making the stuff at a concerning rate. The world production of plutonium 239 as a by product is somewhat alarming given its possible role as the fuel for a fission bomb or the fission bomb needed to detonate a fusion bomb..

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The term Fast breeder reactor is often misquoted, it is a fast, breeder reactor. The Fast part was because the reactor used fast neutrons, rather than the slow neutrons of a more conventional reactor and the breeder was because it breed fissile nuclei from Uranium 238. It didn't breed fast as do rabbits.

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Could use the Pu239 in a NSWR. Instead of enriched uranium.

Learning likes this.
  20. Learning

One uses a mixture. Uranium 235 and Plutonium 239 break up releasing energy and Uranium 238 absorbs neutrons, chucks out electrons and become Plutonium 239. That's over simplified but is the essence of the process.