1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Here we go - Corbyn mania pending!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MickLL, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

That is a welcome apology.

I hope I speak for all when I say "thank you".

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

S.A.,

As Roger won't see your note of thanks, I hope you don't mind if I quote it so that he can glow in the warmth of your gratitude.

Eric

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I think I may have made this point a few weeks ago, but it seems to me that there are many threats to the security of the United Kingdom to which Trident or its replacement would not be a credible counter, and the high cost would be better spent on conventional forces and the intelligence and security services.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Agreed.

S

5. PhotoEcosse

^^^^ Me too.

6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Aye.

Graeme

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Echo that, Alex, plus ... what is wrong with the third way? Keep existing Trident until it becomes no longer serviceable. Junking an existing system on which £bns have been spent in order to spend more £bns on something that is highly unlikely to be used seems to me to be mad. Cheers, Oly

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

To be honest nukes are old news anyway. Yes, they pack a punch but what a mess! Modern consensus is that orbiting kinetic bombardment satellites would be a much more attractive option, supply similar levels of destruction and, importantly, not breach team international rules on posting weapons in orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

Why does the UK not have five of these circling the planet? That would be well worth £100 billion of anyone's money if your looking for "bang for your buck".

9. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

The logical step would be to ask our new friends, the Chinese, to build and maintain Trident on our behalf. We trust them with nuclear power, why not with nuclear weapons? :)

Regards, Mike

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Given that HMG is apparently hell-bent on outsourcing everything else to do with defence.........why not?

Lynn

11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I thought it already was - to the Americans?

S

12. PhotoEcosse

Correct.

13. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I'd imagine there is still a cost of maintaining the existing system

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm sure there is; but this option would allow time to retrain all those employed in this area and reduce the impact on unemployment, because it strikes me that the biggest argument left in favour of these things are the jobs they provide.

15. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

And what better than to retrain for decommissioning?

There are currently about 18,000 employed in trying to clean up nuclear waste. The work is guaranteed for the next 10,000 years. It is the one budget no government dare ever cut, currently running at approx £70 bn. and being revised up by about 10% each year. Jobs for life? :(

Regards, Mike

16. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Well I never, Jeremy C, a Robin Cook reincarnation and a full time model for garden Gnomes!

17. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Now he has snubbed the CBI. Sure they differ in their views but I think that they would have been polite and civil. What hope for a prime ministerial wannabe who won't even meet the CBI?

19. John King

John King Well-Known Member

If Jeremy Corbyn has pacifist and seriously heavy left wing leanings and is sympathetic to Russia, how does that fit in with the current 'expeditions' Russia is having in Ukraine and Syria. He just has to have a conflict of ideals.

20. PhotoEcosse

Indeed he must. And I am sure he does.

Is there any one of us who holds a battery of political/philosophical/moral beliefs that are all completely congruent one with the other?