1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Nikon Lens screws

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Ian Fraser-Stables, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Ian Fraser-Stables

Ian Fraser-Stables New Member

Hi everyone. I'm new here so please be gentle. ;) And if this is in the wrong place I apologise, Mods please move it.
    I own a 2014 Nikon D5300 with a Nikkor 18-55mm lens, pretty much standard equipment. It's been great up until now when yesterday the Auto Focus wouldn't focus past about 40ft. Tried it in manual and it was the same. I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology but the Focus barrel seemed very loose when moved side to side. When I moved it one way the focusing corrected, move it back and it went out.
    I've stripped it down and removed the front lens and there are 3 screws holding the plastic piece on which the front lens sits, apologies for not knowing what its called, but this is very loose one way. Thinking that it has a broken part behind I tried to remove the 3 screws, 1 undid easily but unfortunately the other 2 have well and truly seized, possibly because of some locktite and the heads are now damaged.
    I think I may have to use a micro screw remover, but before I do I wonder if any of you lovely people know where to get Nikkor lens screws.
    Also does anyone know the fixings behind them, I cant find any clues online, so if someone here has repaired one fo these I would be grateful for some advice before I have to order a new lens.
    Many thanks
    Ian

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You are a braver man than me, taking a lens apart to see what's inside. I wouldn't know which end to start from to check the AF motor/drive assembly. If you've damaged the heads then getting the screws out will be a challenge. I'd have a look at the s/h price of a used 18-55 lens (with warranty) because it will probably be cheaper than getting it fixed. If you want to soldier on I'd think you could get screws from a camera repairer, you might try Nikon support, you never know what a polite inquiry might produce. Generally the big companies charge to look at an item so you might pay £30 or so to be told it is beyond repair. When lockdown lifts your camera shop might be able to advise.

3. Ian Fraser-Stables

Thats good advice Peter, thank you. I figured I've got nothing to lose if it is just a screw that's loose and I may get a few more years out of it. If not, I'll take your advice or buy a new one. Luckily it doesn't seem to be the end with all the gubbins. The rubber surround on the front of the lens eased off and there are two plastic arms holding the front lens. Ease them apart and the lens screws off. I've ordered a Micro Grabit (tiny easyout) kit. I'm guessing the screws are held in by loctite or similar.
    I'll try Nikon Support, thanks again.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Best of luck with the lens. If you don't succeed in fixing it then might I suggest that you do not buy a new one. I would suggest one of these https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondha...&Order=Latest&View=Grid&Results=12&Ref=HomeSH
    There are plenty of these lenses around. Many dealers have them.
    I used to have one of these16-85 lenses and they are good. I made the mistake of trading it in for the 'better' 16-80. It wasn't a mistake photographically just financially. New toys are nice, and theoretically the newer 16-80 is better. In my use and practice the older lens was just as good. I do not print at A2.
    The wider zoom range of the 16-85 (or 16-80) is useful. In neither case there is no loss in quality compared to the 18-55 kit lens in spite of the increased zoom range. The 2mm difference at the short end of the range makes more difference than most people would imagine. The extra 30 or 25 mm at the long end take you well into the short telephoto region.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  5. Ian Fraser-Stables

Thanks Learning.
    Google is a wonderful thing if you happen to ask it the right question. Having stripped the rear electronics first to try to get to the front focus lens, that didn't work so went in from the front as I mentioned earlier.
    [​IMG]

I found a Youtube video that explains you can get to the plastic rings which line the focus barrel screws quite easily without taking them out. You can see them in the picture. I couldn't find the plastic ring at first but on a second look it was in the front lens housing which was safely sitting next to me on the desk. It's a bit of a fiddle but I manged to refit the plastic ring over the screw. If it comes off again I think I'll glue it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks again for the advice guys, I'm going to check out London Camera Exchange now to see if I can find a descent zoom lens. :)

Attached Files:

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would comment that these kit lenses are not really intended to be repaired, if somebody can manage a DIY fix all well and good, a workshop repair if possible would not be economical.

The chances are the screws will be a Japanese standard.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The screws will probably be JIS - Japanese Industrial Standard. I bought a set of small JIS screwdrivers some years ago - I think from a company in the US called Moody Tools, lord only knows what the shipping would cost now.

8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

The screw heads will be JIS .

I have a set of JIS screwdrivers from Amazon that Pete E ( usually on the Pentax forums ) pointed me too .
    It makes a huge difference to have the correct piece of kit , no more rounded heads !
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CED236/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Costs £19.89 for the set , if you spend over £20 from Amazon , it's free delivery and you get it in a few days .

gray1720 likes this.
  9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I would second Learning's advice on the 16-85. It was my go to lens when I used the D7000. It's a great all-rounder.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have the Nikon manual for the 24-70 f2.8 AF-S and a note in that document says that if you remove the front element you need an optical bench to align it again.