1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Help with colour editing

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Dave Smiff, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Dave Smiff

Dave Smiff Active Member

Hi all.
    Can anyone give me some pointers on how to get my pictures to look like this one?
    I use elements 11. Thanks.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Dave. Practice, lots and lots of practice. He’s quite clean and shiny so this might be a publicity shot or practice session and whoever took it had good access. The “guru” on this forum is “Fireproof Creative”. You can search his posts to Appraisal, go back to the beginning. My memory tells me that he started with “how do I” questions and beginner kit. He worked his way up to get track-side and pit accreditation and is a fabulous motor-sport photographer.

The technique used is called panning. A long lens is used with an exposure time that is relatively long. Moving the lens while keeping the lens trained on the subject keeps the subject sharp but the background gets blurred due to the camera movement. I’d guess this was taken with a lens of somewhere between 300-400 mm effective focal length and 1/125 s exposure time. It is difficult to pan with longer lenses as they get too heavy to hand-hold, certainly for DSLRs. For Canon users the 400 mm F5.6 L is probably the best option. Until the last couple of years the refresh rate on electronic viewfinders on mirrorless wouldn’t keep up with fast action and their AF was a bit slow too but nowadays they should be up to the job. I’m not really aware of their lens choices though.

There are editing techniques to simulate motion blur but they are usually used to artistic effect. The reason I think this is a real bloke going around a track, even if not flat out, is the lack of precision on the writing. It looks like genuine panning to me..... if it’s fake I’ve been fooled.

Dave Smiff likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Which bit of it? The blur? The colours? The subject? The lighting? Which part of the 'look' are you trying to replicate?

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The wheels do not seem to be rotating anything like as fast as they should be I strongly suspect a great deal of Photoshop has been used

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

RogerMac likes this.
  6. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

To get that colour balance I would increase blacks and saturation in ACR

Dave Smiff likes this.
  7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

To me the picture looks unrealistic and over-processed.
    Are you really sure you want your shots to look like this too?

RogerMac likes this.
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Touch of hdr ?

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Not quite sure how you reach that conclusion. They look like they're spinning at a fair pace to me. I'm with @PeteRob, I'd definitely say this was real panning. Back end of the bike looks squat as if he's accelerating out of a corner.

To the op. Probably would be polite to contact the photographer and ask him, firstly if you can borrow his image, secondly, he might give you some tips.

Dave Smiff and EightBitTony like this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Looks real to me. Using levels on a shot often reveals any clumsy editing that might not be immediately obvious in the initial image and there's nothing there to suggest that this was an edit - other than the somewhat overbearing saturation.

Dave Smiff likes this.
  11. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Hmm...

I am not sure that the blur of the track matches the blur of the bike, although the red patch in the foreground and the arrow bit at the right look about right. Possibly the grey of the track was given a bit of extra blur.

My biggest concern is that the bike is under pretty hard acceleration - the rear tyre is flattening out, the front wheel is lifting, the top part of the chain is taught, and the bottom slack so there will definitely be oversteer - therefore at that angle of lean and amount of steering input he is just about to drive right off the track, although as he hasn't got his knee out, and is flat on the tank it is obviously a fast sweeper. Both wheels over the line and it's an 'Exceeding track limits' penalty.

Just for the record, I spent a couple of seasons doing clubman races in Devon and Cornwall fifty years ago, mainly on ex-wartime airfields like St. Eval. I had a Matchless G50 and an AJS 7R, which were exactly the same bike, but one a 500cc single and the other a 350cc single. Great fun and two broken ankles!

12. Chester AP

After Geren's post above, I looked at the image again. It still looks more like a heavy application of HDR or some other processing, rather than just a 'touch'. My PC monitor is carefully adjusted to give accurate colour and contrast in my room where no bright light source falls on the screen. Perhaps it looks better if viewed in a room with very bright lighting which might dim the colours and reduce the contrast of the image, or on a small screen in outdoors in sunlight.

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Just looks overly saturated to me. How the hell would you HDR it? You are never going to get multiple matching frames to blend. The bike colours are meant to stand out, so the advertisers can see their names, just thought it rather clean for something belting round a track.

14. Chester AP

I was careful to say 'or some other processing', because I'm not a fan of HDR and don't have much experience of its (ab)use, but this shot has the symptoms of somebody playing with image manipulation and ending up with something that looks unrealistic. Perhaps that was the intention, and if so I would love to know why.

15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I know others have mentioned it but I think it’s a bit wrong talking about/criticising someone’s work when it is posted here, presumably without their consent, and not here themselves to answer.

16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the same.

Dave Smiff likes this.
  17. Dave Smiff

Dave Smiff Active Member

Hi all, thanks for all the replys.
    I don't think I explained myself very well.
    I'm not bothered about the blured back ground,
    I'd like to know how to make the "colours pop out"[​IMG]
    These are my pictures for reference

Attached Files:

18. dream_police

You can always just increase the overall saturation in your editing software, or increase the sliders for each colour you want to boost and decrease for those you don't want. That would be a simple way.
    NIK collection has the Viveza filter. That will boost your colours for you.

Dave Smiff likes this.
  19. dream_police

All I did with this, and it took me seconds, so could be better, was to increase the colours. I initially took down the greens but then you would lose the Monster emblem. Far too saturated for my taste but it may suit you.
    In fact, it seems duller than it was on PS now it's been through flickr for some reason.
    [​IMG]Oulton edit by Nigel G, on Flickr

Dave Smiff likes this.
  20. dream_police

This one is as above then put through Viveza. The greens are horrible, but I feel you may want them that way.

[​IMG]Oulton2 edit by Nigel G, on Flickr

Dave Smiff likes this.