1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Help on identifying image filter

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by vash, Aug 26, 2020.

1. vash

vash New Member

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.

I have attached a photo. Does anyone know how to get that sort of image look. I am not sure if this is a preset or an ND filter.

Attached Files:

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

If the shot was well exposed to begin with I would say it probably didn't need a lot of processing. Maybe a bit of contrast/clarity, reduce the saturation slightly.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It has taken something like 20 attempts to get at this post, forum troubles, but I’m a sucker for help!

Hi Vash,
    I think this has to be from a photoshoot with a lot of attention to lighting. It hasn’t been created from a badly exposed picture. I don’t do portraiture myself but I suspect they have a well set up lighting rig - well set up in that it doesn’t look artificial. Doubtless there is some touching up but it hasn’t been rescued. I don’t know where you got it from, if it is from a named photographer they might tell you about the shoot if you ask nicely.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Which aspect are you asking about? Colour grading? Lighting? Retouching? Focus?

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Automatic filters and presets do not replace a photographer's mastery of craft coupled with creativity and understanding of the genre being attempted.
    Some producers of software provide filters which produce a certain 'look'' . Their novelty wares off pretty quickly.
    For the photograph posted a lot of the credit also has to go to the models, hair stylist, makeup artist, and provider of wardrobe. The skill and vision of the photographer is just part of the process of producing photographs of this type.

6. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

What effect am I missing ?

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I suspect some software has been used to 'improve' skin tone and remove minor 'faults', and the result is the 'barbie doll' skin tone of the model on the left.

8. PeteRob

I think it is another wind-up. Although the forum had problems this post is from sole visit.

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, but I'm totally stumped as to why. I couldn't find that image anywhere else on the net (yeh I know, too much time on my hands), however, a different search reveals,

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4514717

https://www.photographytalk.com/for...ation/290351-help-on-identifying-image-filter

No links out to anything else, no obvious benefit other than perhaps people seeing the models or the images themselves.

Odd one.

10. Chester AP

We need a wind-up filter for postings on the Forum.

11. PeteRob

No. Definitely not. Unless by wind-up you mean stop.

12. Chester AP

The use of a filter is usually optional. Obviously I wasn't being serious, but I like the idea of having one.