1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed....

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by Aliera, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Aliera

Aliera Well-Known Member

...to help out a photographer friend, who is trying to find some information about a Leica he has come across recently.
    Bear in mind that I know absolutely nothing about Leicas models (I know, shame on me!), so I'll just repeat what I have been told: the model is 3D, as far as he knows it was built between 1940 and 1942, and they only made 490 (I think) of them. The distinguishing feature (as I am told) is that the camera has red shutters.
    He is trying to find out if it is the genuine article etc - I said that I knew a group of people that know all there is to know about the brand... /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif
    So - can any of you guys help?
    Thank you in advance,

ALIERA

"I'll stay here and clean up the blood"

2. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Aliera, The Leica 111D was made from 1939 until 1947 and yes in very small quantities 427 to be exact. But the distinguishing feature is that it has a self timer. I have examined many copies but very few genuine 111ds. I have never seen one with red shutter curtains. If it is genuine it is worth many thousands of pounds. The only real advice is to have the camera appraised by an expert, the chances are that it is a Russian copy, at the moment they are producing the weirdest Leica cameras. Hence not even the serial numbers are going to help. However most numbers fall between no 360002 and 367325.

Sorry to sound negative, for your friends sake I hope it is genuine, stranger things have happened./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Brian.

<a href="http://www.justmono.com"target="_new">justmono<a>

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

http://www.leicatime.com/IIID-367190.htm has a claimed picture of one with red curtains. Pictures 1, 3, 4 and 5 show the rangefinder cam in the inside top of the lens mount - if that's not circular, it is most certainly a Russian fake. Beyond that, you need, as Brian says, an expert opinion.

Nick BSRIPN
    I am a camera.

4. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Nick during the war because of shortages Leitz even used the red material to repair pre war cameras. The thing I find strange is, this guy has identified the camera as a 111d whilst obviously missing the one thing that sets this camera apart from others of the period. He has also given years during which the 111d was produced and is even close to the production figures.

Brian.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The DA? He mentions that a couple of times. Or is there something else? I certainly bow to your expertise in the field of all things Leica!

Nick BSRIPN
    I am a camera.

6. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Nick are we reading the same post?

"...to help out a photographer friend, who is trying to find some information about a Leica he has come across recently.
    Bear in mind that I know absolutely nothing about Leicas models (I know, shame on me!), so I'll just repeat what I have been told: the model is 3D, as far as he knows it was built between 1940 and 1942, and they only made 490 (I think) of them. The distinguishing feature (as I am told) is that the camera has red shutters.
    He is trying to find out if it is the genuine article etc - I said that I knew a group of people that know all there is to know about the brand...
    So - can any of you guys help?
    Thank you in advance,"

Where does he mention the DA?

Brian.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry - thought you meant in the link I posted! Bit slow tonight - too busy buying Rolleis../img/wwwthreads/wink.gif
    Indeed there is nothing in the original post about it. But then if you don't know anything about Leicas, you wouldn't know what was the distinguishing point, I suppose.

Nick BSRIPN
    I am a camera.

8. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

I could be wrong here Brian but I've never seen a Russian copy or fake with the D/A or the single bezel to the V/F & R/F eyepiece:
    [​IMG]

Nor have I seen a passable Russian copy of a III, with the slow speeds on the front mounted dial. The only Russian one I've seen with the slow speeds on the front, is the Zorki 3, but this has a much taller top plate than any of the screw mount Leicas. So I would think a camera with slow speeds, D/A, single eyepiece bezel and a circular R/F cam, is likely to be genuine.

Geoff

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Oh dear, oh dear dear dear. Really Geoffrey you have lost the plot. Sit down and pay attention.

I know young Nick somewhat muddied the waters but let uncle Brian explain. Aliera told us of a camera that her friend has found and gave a rather vague description of it asking if anyone could help. This was the first posting in the thread, O.K. Now I urged caution re russian copies etc. Then dear, ever helpful Nick ( The Blessing of Allah be upon Him) posted some pictures he had found. Got it so far? Then Nick in his infinite wisdom thought I was responding to his pictures, which I wasn't, then you, in your usual befuddled state came rushing in compounding and increasing the confusion. Oh dear, I suppose those Canons have at last proved too big a responsibility for you. A nice lie down in a darkened room would I suggest be the best treatment, or perhaps a complete abstinence from Ebay for the next ten days as a form of penance.

In other words Geoff the pictures Nick posted and you commented on haven't got anything to do with the original question.

Please everyone, take pity on Geoff, for he knows not what day of the week it is /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif ( And that's true)

Brian.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Er, what day of the week IS it?

Nick BSRIPN
    I am a camera.

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No you wouldn't Nick. However,if you didn't know anything about Leicas how would you think that red shutter curtains were different?

Brian.

We aren't going to catch up at this rate. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Good point, good point...
    Actually, those red blinds look rather fetching.

Nick BSRIPN
    I am a camera.

13. Aliera

Aliera Well-Known Member

Thank you Brian, Nick, and Geoff

for your help...
    Rereading the original post I see now that it was a little vague - my (very) limited knowledge is only of Nikon cameras.
    I will pass on your replies to my friend, and let's hope that the camera isn't a Russian copy! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

ALIERA

"I'll stay here and clean up the blood"

14. Canonball

Well, it's no bloody good asking Slimey. He couldn't even tell you what year it is!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Geoff

15. Canonball

'Ere Brian, have you been on those funny cigarettes again? I'm sure that post made some sense to you when you typed it, but I'm buggered if I know what the hell you're on about!

Geoff

16. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Now, Git chops, if you want a row, you're on. But it's still your turn for lunch next time.

Brian.

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Yes, yes, no, no, certainly no, and perhaps. And you will be.

Seriously though Geoff, the original post read something like " My friend has found a Leica 111d, he knows it's a 111d because it has red curtains" That is paraphrasing it a little, but it just about sums it up.

Then you posted a piccie of what looks like a real 111d and point out that this is unlikely to be a Russian copy, quite agree, but it isn't a picture of the camera which started the discussion.

Clear now, or have I got to set the dog on you?

Brian.

Anyway just had a trip to Brid and I'm knackered.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah, but the pic that Geoff posted was taken from the pics I posted, so in posting that the pic he posted was unlikely to be a fake, he was referring in reality to the pics I posted, and I posted that the pics were only purported to be genuine. The pics I posted had no relevance to the original post; the pic Geoff posted likewise, although this pic was pinched from my post of pics.

Now, THAT should be clear!

Nick BSRIPN
    I am a camera.

19. Canonball

Ah, but I posted THAT pic, which was indeed lifted from Nick's link, merely to illustrate the single bezel around both viewfinder and rangefinder eyepieces, which I mentioned in the post, as one means of telling the genuine article from the fakes.

So what on earth has Bradford done wrong that deserves a visit? /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Geoff

20. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

> THAT should be clear!

Clear as mud! /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

Diane /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif