1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help In The Orkneys

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by pitdiver, Feb 27, 2021.

1. pitdiver

pitdiver Member

In june my wife and are flying (hopefully) flying up to the Orkneys. Whilst we are there we are attending a wedding. What lenses should I take with me. Both for the scenery and for use at the wedding.
    We are only allowed 20kgs hold luggage and 6 kgs carry on.

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

What camera do these lenses need to fit? I could suggest the Olympus 12-100 f/4 and 9-18 but if you don't have a micro four thirds camera, that won't be of much use

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Pssst... the locals just call it "Orkney"!

Orkney is surprisingly flat, except for Hoy (well, it surprised me)- you won't get a lot of sweeping vistas, they'll tend to be dead-flat with green at the front and sky at the back, so I wouldn't worry about anything too wide. As for what too wide is... I still use old manual focus primes so I'm the wrong person to ask on that front! But I'm happy to point you at a few places if you are on Mainland - how long are you going to be there for?

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  5. Learning

Oops. This is not the Lounge.
    I hope that you enjoyed the song anyway.

6. pitdiver

pitdiver Member

Apology for calling it Orkneys. This will be our third visit but the first time with proper photographic equipment. We are going just for a week this time. If we have time we hope visit some of the other islands. Would like to domthe ferry to North Ronaldsay but have been advised it can be a bit tricky.
    Won't be diving in Scapa though

7. pitdiver

pitdiver Member

Canon 750D and a Canon 760D

8. gray1720

I'd see if you can get the plane to some of the outlying islands - I forget how much we paid to go to Papa Westray, but we stopped in at North Ronaldsay on one or the other leg , and I don't recall it being excessive. Plus if you plan it riight you can get in the world's shortest scheduled flight between Westray and Papa Westray. And you'll get more time than if you took a Cook's Tour. That's not to say that a boat trip isn't worth it - we did Shapinsay by boat.

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

If it's any help for your choice, remember it is a flat place! I actually had a wonderful (but wet) holiday based in Stromness but touring around in a car. Had a great laugh and found the people wicked but funny. Arriving from London, I was of course totally unready for the rain. Had to get a load of gear from a sports shop, then was safe from the elements. So, be prepared to get wet. Big jacket recommended to hide camera in use. Good shoes or boots too. I do hope June turns out to prove me wrong though and you have a great time.

10. pitdiver

pitdiver Member

Thanks for the tips. The plan was ferry to West ray fly to Papa then ferry back to Mainland.
    One advantage is that a friend of mine works for Loganair in Kirkwall so I will take advice from him re inter Island flights.

11. pitdiver

pitdiver Member

A bit more advice please. Amongst the kit I inherited was a Canon BG8 Battery grip. Is it worth keeping this on the 760d or shall I take it off and just use the battery in th camera.?

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is entirely your preference. I like using a grip but one of my cameras has one built in so I got used to it. Practically speaking the only advantage is if you use portrait mode a lot. The downside is it makes the camera bigger.

13. pitdiver

pitdiver Member

And a damn sight heavier specially when lugging round a bag full of lenses as well. I could take it with me and not use it or leave it at home and then wished I had. Anyway got plenty of time to decide

14. gray1720

Sounds like a good combination to me! Hope you have a great trip. Re Catriona's warning - we have always found that the weather followss the old Scots saying "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute!". Mind you, you've been there more than we have, so I'm preaching to the choir here...

15. pitdiver

pitdiver Member

We have experienced the niceties of the weather up there. Back in 2019 was the last time hoping it will behave itself this year as we are going to a wedding and I'm taking the photos.

16. Learning

Orkney is not hilly as has already been written. The additional weight of the grip and batteries should not be too bad, but the advantages may be considerable.

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You’re taking the wedding photo’s ? I nearly replied to post #1 to say that taking a load of camera gear as a guest to a wedding can be less than a good idea, take a compact if you must but leave it to the official photographer.

18. pitdiver

pitdiver Member

Because of the circumstances the wedding is very low key. There is no official photographer I have been asked to take some informal shots of the occasion. However you may be right by advising not to take too much. May end up taking one camera and a walk around lens.

19. gray1720

I think that would be very sensible - apart from anything else, you will not be fiddling with your gear when an opportunity presents itself. Give yourself a good reason not to have to do too much. Wedding photography can be very stressful (though if it's a small, low-key, wedding hopefully it'll be a fairly relaxed bunch).

20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Just don't take any new bugs with you.