1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help I think I want some new glass

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by SCT, Jul 23, 2001.

1. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Not <font color=red> DRACLEICA! <font color=black> Where is old bat features anyway? Probably hanging upside-down in the wardrobe until it gets dark I imagine!
    Biggus Willyus

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

He's been posting nothing on the message board in the Gallery (see for yourself what I mean.).
    [​IMG]
    Nick

3. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

So why call it Prime. Is it some photo clique thing to imply that these are superior to zoom lenses. Afterall we do not call zoom lenses "secondary".

Both groups do a different job and for different circumstances.

&lt;font color=red&gt;&lt;i&gt;Steve C Thompson&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/font color=red&gt; &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

4. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Thanks

OK so thanks for the comments. And having weighed throught the response I think I may have found what I am looking for. Not the Huble Space telescope. Could not get it in the gadget bag.

I think I might go for the "SIGMA 50mm f2.8 EX MACRO NIKON AF D".

So any thoughts on this.

&lt;font color=red&gt;&lt;i&gt;Steve C Thompson&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/font color=red&gt; &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

They ARE superior to zoom lenses. As to why they were first called prime, it's lost in the mists of time, so you'll have to ask Brian or Clive.

Nick

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: Thanks

A longer focal length macro gives better working distances, useful if you're working outside.

Nick

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Would go with Nick on this one. Try to get a 90mm focal length instead.
    BigWill

8. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Etymologically, one would suspect that 'Prime Lens' only came into use when zoom lenses appeared, as it cannot be Prime = first class, or the best, as some 'prime' lenses were never of any decent quality. I would think the most likely similarity would be with 'prime number', which means having 'no integral factors except itself and unity'. But I certainly stand to be corrected. Well, you did ask.
    <font color=red>#:#

9. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Ok thankyou Gents, look into a 90mm. Looks like Mr AmEx is going to get hit!!!

10. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to have to read the history of this fine art.

11. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

OK could not find a 90mm. Anybody come across this baby "COSINA 100mm f3.5 MACRO ". Not had any experiance of Cosina lens. Nathans lenses are'nt Cosina.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Tamron make a 90.
    I have the Vivitar 100 f3.5 macro in EOS fitting which is the same as the Cosina (Cosina make them). It's construction is cheap and nasty (but has a metal lens mount), and requires an accessory close-up lens to achieve true macro, but, and it's a big but, it's CHEAP!!!!
    Quality isn't too bad at all. Not earth shattering, but perfectly good stopped down - which is where you use a macro lens anyway. Until I can afford the best (Canon 100 f2.8 USM), it suits me fine.

Nick

13. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Saving up to buy the best eh Nasty Nick?. Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Grade 4.2 .Leitz 100mm 2.8 APO Macro Elmarit, Grade 4.5.Looks as though you are going to save four times longer then you thought. Oh and then there is a body.

Just a silly remark from a Snail./img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

The Snail.

14. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Had a look at the Tamron and would appear to do the job. Thanks.

Forget the silly remak from the Snail. You can afford it.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If you believe the reviewers, maybe. And I'm not really saving for it - the Vivitar's enough fun at the moment.
    When I buy a Leica, though, I have no intention of buying a lens as long as 100mm.

Nick

16. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Then Nick you are going to rule out the wonderful 180mm and 280mm Apo Telyts. Or have you decided it's got to be an M? Mind you you could always use a Visoflex.

Brian. &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

When I do, it'll probably be a IIIf, to be honest. Otherwise it will be an M.

Nick

18. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Nick,

I always knew you were a gentleman who appreciated the finer thing in life. But I find it funny that so few people consider the purchase of a used Reflex Leica. The R3, which is a great camera can be bought in mint condition for around £300 add 35,50,90mm Summicrons and for under £1300 you have a top quality outfit. With an M6 and three similar lenses the cost is £3500 all as per the current advertisement issued by The Classic Camera Co. Even with the reflex cameras you still have the Leitz quality both in terms of mechanics but perhaps above all in optics, across the range nobody equals the performance of Leitz, particularly in terms of colour rendition.

Brian.

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Brian, I have frequently thought about it. For the same reasons I have often considered a Contax SLR (except they are better cameras, with maybe not quite such good lenses, and a similar system could be aquired for about half that). But I don't believe that the Leica R system would be as useful to me as the EOS system overall.
    Part of the enjoyment I get from photography is in using the equipment, I freely admit. The pursuit of a Leica is as much to get the enjoyment of using a classic as from the photographic quality, and somehow an R Leica just isn't what I want. A IIIf or g(in my dreams!) or an M4-P or M6 would be. Irrational, maybe, but it's being irrational that makes life worth living!

Nick

20. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I agree absolutely with your posting Nick. Now I must stop doing this, it's going to ruin my reputation. however might I suggest a little removal to the Leica room would be appropriate? Let me ask you, Why the screw or bayonet, what would be your reason for reaching the decision, which way to go?

Brian, The seriously interested Snail.