1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, I can't keep up...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by miked, Jan 16, 2020.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Don't remember that at all. Was German a second option? I did both French and German at school and my German was always better than my French so I'm guessing that I would have chosen the German option if it had been available.

One thing that I do remember was having to 'design' (draw a diagram of) a quite complex motorway junction. I lived in Birmingham at the time and the so called spaghetti junction (and maps of it) had been in the news so that I was quite well versed in M'way layout.

MickLL

2. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I really struggled with French at school and as soon as I could I dropped it like a hot potato. Later I joined the army and was posted to Germany for 3 years and I found German to be so much easier and was quite at home to live and work there. There is so much difference actually being in a country and learning, perhaps not grammatically perfect but being understood.

3. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Some threads develop a life of their own......

Geren likes this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I enjoyed French at school, but we didn't start German until 3rd year and my head did not get on with doing the two languages together when the French way of doing things was very well entrenched. Also we had a ludicrously ineffective teacher who regularly ran out of the class crying when the boys started winding her up, which was pretty much from day one. I also spent some time living and working in Paris in my early twenties and so my French really pretty good by the time I came back. That said, I do think it's a case of use it or lose it. Many years later we went to France for a family holiday and I was horrified to realise how much had 'gone'. It wasn't helped by the fact that I now had three small children and in my twenties I'd never thought to gen up on French vocabulary for things such as 'nappies' and 'highchairs'. But it was a good exercise in communication nonetheless. We did arrive at the campsite only to realise that we had forgotten to pack a corkscrew (sacre bleu!) so I went to the manager and said "Excusez-moi Monsieur, j'ai besoin d'un 'chose', mais j'ai oubliez le mot...c'est pour tirer un bouchon?" to which he responded "Oui, c'est un tirer-bouchon" Got to love the French language!

Catriona likes this.
  5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I had the same problem once. I used to smoke a pipe and had forgotten my pipe cleaners. Take my advice do NOT ask for, "quelque chose pour nettoyer ma pipe".

MickLL

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.