1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, I can't keep up...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by miked, Jan 16, 2020.

1. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I'm guessing what Kate might have meant because I have a similar problem. It's not so much volume as 'depth' - sorry don't have the right word at my fingertips. Her voice sounds 'thin' and unsatisfying. A bit like clear soup against Richard Burton's oxtail.

Apologies that I can't do better with my explanation.

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  2. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I did A level general studies (NUJMB) and from memory there were three or four sections; science, a modern language, reasoning, and 'arts' (but I don't clearly remember all the sections). What I do remember is that it was necessary to pass each and every section before one could pass the whole thing. It was no good getting zero in one section and 100% in all the others.

The 11+ works similarly around here. In fact a friend of my grandson was pretty upset because he 'failed' (my word - the schools and authorities avoid it like the plague!!) because his mark in maths was a couple below the 'pass' but his total score was well above the pass mark because he did so well in other sections. The school has appealed on his behalf because he is usually very competent in maths although not a maths prodigy!

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  3. miked

miked Well-Known Member

At my age, forgetfulness is a constant companion. . . .

Geren likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. Yes, my description would be reedy and not only irritating, but hard to decipher the words. Little modulation - and certainly not having the timbre or richness of Burton's creamy tones which made my toes curl!

5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Turning the volume up so you can hear one person is fine , but if someone else starts talking it's deafining .
    And if your going to sit looking at a TV reading subtitles , you might as well just read a book .

Catriona likes this.
  6. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I don't believe she would have been stuffed at all. She would have needed to be able to use pounds, shillings and pence and so would have got to grips with it. I work in an FE college, and the inabiity to tell the time on an analogue watch is fairly widespread. These kids don't need to be able to do that any more. Hardly any of them wear watches. They all tell time by looking at their phone, tablet or computer. If they do own a watch it tends to be digital. If they've never found themselves inconvenienced by being unable to read analogue time, why would they bother?

Zou likes this.
  7. Catriona

The book wins with me. :)

neilt3 and Geren like this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I do love accents and dialect - I have a rich mix of Sheffieldish and Scots to add to my English. The accent is hard to place because it too is an amalgamation of all the areas I've lived in - the odd American twang perhaps, having being married to a Yank for 24 years, a bit Yorkshire in the flat vowels, a bit Bristol, a bit Cambridge, some west coast of Scotland, some east. I also seem to have an embarrassing capacity for picking up the accents of people I'm with for any length of time. I once spent a weekend in Derbyshire with a lass from Somerset. That had me sounding like a grumpy yokel for about three days afterwards. And living with a girl from Belfast, I didn't intentionally tell her mother on the phone that she'd be back in at about 'eyut' but it came out that way nonetheless.

Interesting thought about 'at least we're not all speaking American'. Where did the American language come from? I read recently that some of the words we Brits take exception to, such as 'gotten', would actually have been correct English when the Mayflower set sail. They kept these words and we didn't. Who's wrong?

gray1720, RogerMac and Zou like this.
  9. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I have to admit a strange foible now. I regularly, as in at least weekly, listen to Burton reading Dylan Thomas's "rage" poem. I not only love the poem (about the only one I do like) but really enjoy Burton's voice.

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  10. John King

John King Well-Known Member

No she would still be stuffed, I know her and to be kind she is not the sharpest knife in the box.

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Until they come across instructions to "turn the knob clockwise (Or anticlockwise) and haven't got a clue as to what it means.

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Trash turns up in The Tempest, so if it's good enough for Shakespeare... ("Leave it alone thou fools, it is but trash!")

Geren likes this.
  13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

"Thou whoreson zed, thou unnecessary letter"

John Farrell likes this.
  14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

One of the Foreign language options was French and it took the form of a comprehension test. The questions were in English, the passage was in French, and the answers could be in French or English. I chose to answer in English. The subject of the passage was Louis Pasteur. Any half decent science student could answer the questions without knowing a word of French. The only risk was giving more detail in the answer than that given in the passage.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

My kitchen clock goes backwards. The dial is a mirror image of a normal dial. I have no problem using it.

16. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

We could, of course, revert to the original:-
    ..."turn the knob sunwise (clockwise) (or widdershins (anticlockwise)) ..."

Geren and Catriona like this.
  17. Catriona

I love that word widdershins.

18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Dance widdershins around the wicker Man.

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

My granny's Island. Oh yes.

DaveS likes this.
  20. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Good point I never thought of that - perhaps her cooker has direction arrows!