1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Help, I can't keep up...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by miked, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it's really nice. I wouldn't mind it in the least.

RogerMac likes this.
  2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Now that I'm going grey, the popular address used by teenagers I don't know appears to be 'grandad' or 'old fart' (unless they hope to sell me something), but I suspect that neither is used as a courtesy title. Perhaps, like hearing teenage girls calling each other 'whore', these titles grudgingly acknowledge my existence and no longer have any perjorative meaning.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Lot of people start with "No......" when they are not negating anything.

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Same here during the war, neighbours were always uncle or auntie,apart from one stuck up couple who were Mr & Mrs. we had a communal air raid shelter in the back garden built by "the menfolk" from 3 or 4 doors either side dug about 12' deep, brick walls and reinforced concrete roof; gates in the back garden fences.Dad built a greenhouse over it after the war, used the shelter to store pots and compost.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

"Sam Spade" - Opera opens it.

6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Wey aye, man!

Lynn

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That is the perfect case where an answer should begin with the word so.

I don't remember that, but an 'A' level general studies got potential science students without an 'O' foreign language through matriculation, as it did arts students without maths or science. I am referring to Northern board. There was no backdoor for people who could write English, and quite right too. There should not have been a back door for those without 'O' level maths either.

8. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I was born and grew up close to there and you may have been unfortunate enough to get someone who was born and brought up in part of east county Durham or Sunderland. Even as a 'local' I sometimes have difficulty in understanding those who have a heavy accent. Much the same can be said about people from Birmingham, Liverpool and some parts of Scotland. But if you look at some of the more popular drama programmes on television more than a fair proportion are base in the NE.

9. John King

Following on from the post immediately before this one. My partner who is one of those who grew up in a Durham pit village and her extended family all have heavy accents but I have come to an understanding with them - I simply ignore what they are saying!
    But not keeping up with the times, Her niece who is about 24 still cannot tell the time from a clock or watch which has hands and is not a digital. She would have been really stuffed if she had been alive at the time of Pounds Shillings and Pence and the conversion to Metric.

10. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Brenda Blethyn who plays Vera comes from our town in East Kent. I read an article the other day where she was complimented on her accent that she uses in the series.

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Just wish she had a bit more volume (voice). I can't watch it.

12. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I find her false accent in that programme highly annoying....

Catriona likes this.
  13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I have a friend who hails from Enniskillen. The only legible word he says is "c**t". It didn't stop him becoming a millionaire businessman.

Zou likes this.
  14. Chester AP

When I took my O-levels in 1972, and A-Levels later, I was warned that answers (in any subject) would be deemed incorrect if they were not written in clear and comprehensible English. Or as a teacher explained to somebody who wanted to work in the 'Arts' when he grew up, 'if you cannot explain yourself clearly, don't bother to take the exam'.

Re. 'arts students without maths or science' - I suspect a few of these write for AP.

15. John King

Actually as a thoroughbred Geordie I find her accent is not bad at all and what she says is understandable. It is very much in keeping with a person who was not originally born in the area but adopted the accent as they lived there. It is miles better than some of the whining accents we hear on the TV for people putting on an American accent.

As for the volume of her voice just turn your set up. Sorry that was intended as a spot of humour, but not everyone shouts and screams at the top of their voices.

16. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

People who seem incapable of posting to the Forum without snide comments about the magazine have an option - don't read or buy it.

17. Chester AP

If it's true, can it be snide? However, just because other magazines (and many websites) are worse, they should not abandon being as accurate as possible in the magazine. The editor has previously responded to comments in the Forum, and from what he wrote the problem may be that the magazine is produced with fewer staff than it was a few years ago. Proof reading, to spot errors that you or I might notice, may sometimes now be a luxury.

AP is not alone with this problem. I regularly read fiction from my local public library, and it is rare to find a new book with no typographic or factual errors. For example, if you read James Ellroy's novels, did you ever want to find out where the LAPD got a tape recorder small enough to fit in a ladies handbag, or the Japanese managed to use transistors in a radio, in December 1941?

I have been known to send polite emails to AP and have edited versions of them printed. I am not the only reader doing this - a letter in a recent issue pointed that the metal tin cannot be attracted to a magnet, which had been implied in the magazine. They also sometimes have some confusion over the properties of materials used to manufacture photographic hardware. It is things like this that prompted the 'arts students without maths or science' comment.

18. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have a distant memory that when I was young we often were taught to call partners of family friends Uncle and Aunt as appropriate. It seems to have dropped out of common use nowadays.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I knew what you meant though. ;)

20. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

‘Lest’. Although I think you really meant ‘Let’s not forget...’. Which is a different thing altogether.