1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help I am new to DSLR

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by kairos, Dec 9, 2006.

1. kairos

kairos Member

Hi,
    In the long and distant past I had been a keen reader of AP but lapsed once I gave up SLR’s in favour of a compact digital point and shoot cameras. Now picking up this weeks AP, I notice the world has moved on .

I am thinking of buying a Panasonic Lumix Z50. Could some one fill me in on the following.

Can the lens be removed ? (has it a bayonet fitting or what ever?)
    Is it wise to keep a spare battery or would you just charge it once a week?

I take it that the camera can be used just as you would an SLR i.e. manually turn the focus ring .
    Set the aperture and speed. Or switch to auto mode and let the electronics do all the work.

Lastly my Canon A70 uses a compact flash card for storage does the Lumix use a similar system.
    Any and all advise would be appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Richard.

2. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

3. kairos

kairos Member

Hi Alex,
    Thanks for putting me right I have not seen a Lumix FZ50 in the flesh so was not aware that the lens was not removable. But I believe it will take filters etc.

Are you looking through the lens when you are focusing the camera using the eye piece or are you looking at a lcd of what the lens in seeing?
    Maybe the FZ50 is not an SLR but I imagin it has the feel as an SLR with the same manual controls as an SLR. Scrolling through menues as I have to with my Canon A70 is not my idea of photography.

Regards
    Richard.

4. Alex1994

Hi Richard!

I've never actually used one of the 'SLR-style' digicams, but the view through the eyepiece of the Lumix FZ50 will be via an internal LCD screen (similar to a camcorder).

The view will be through the lens, but on a screen (this is in addition to the LCD screen on the back of the camera, of course), rather than optically like a conventional SLR. I'm not sure if it has a mirror arrangement, so technically it may or may not be a 'Single Lens Reflex'. but you will be looking through the lens!

There's a review of the FZ30 at
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/fz30.html
    which is the previous model, and this gives quite a lot of information about the control layout etc - plus a '3D' view of the camera!

It does seem to have SLR-style controls; if you definitely don't want an SLR then it looks good to me.

Regards,
    Alex.

5. kairos

kairos Member

Hi Alex,
    Thanks for all the info . I have visited the review web site and run off all of the review!
    I like the compactness of the FZ50 .it weighs 1.5 Lbs compared to my Canon AE1 which weighs 2 Lbs. with standard lens and 2Lbs 9 oz with a 200 zoom lens. I am interested in photographing model aeroplanes so the 400-ish zoom lens sounds ideal.

I would be interested in a SLR with separate lenses but looking around I think to get the features of the F50 I would have to spend a great deal more money and also there is the weight factor as my wife and I are walkers and lightness of the kit is a consideration.
    I must admit to being quite exited at the prospect of a new camera as the technology has come so far since I last opened a copy of AP.

If you have any Ideas about SLR’s that you think might suit me please let me know because I have been so taken with the F50 I have been too blinkered to look at any other cameras.

Regards
    Richard.

6. Alex1994

Hi,

You could get an entry-level SLR such as the EOS 400D, or a Samsung/Pentax, or Olympus, for £500 or less.

As you say, it would cost more for lenses if you don't already have an autofocus system - especially if you photograph model aeroplanes in flight. Also, as someone who once carried 2 Nikon bodies plus at least 3 lenses, and a tent (!) around Iceland about 20-odd years ago, and who is now definitely feeling his age, I can appreciate the appeal of a light, all-in-one camera if you do a lot of walking!

I think there is a certain amount of snobbery about SLRs (even though I'm a confirmed SLR man myself) - there was a recent feature in the British Journal of Photography about an award-winning Italian photojournalist who uses an Olympus digital non-SLR. He also has an Olympus DSLR but only because some clients insist he provides RAW files for them (so presumably he shoots jpegs or tiffs normally)...

Let us know how you get on...

Alex.

7. kairos

kairos Member

Hi Alex,
    Thanks for replying. I have been an SLR man in the past and still have my AE1 plus lenses and all the various bits of paraphernalia but for the past few years since digital cameras came on the scene have been using my Canon A70 it’s so simple to use and the results are quite good but I find it frustrating when you want to compose a picture rolling through the menu to find the aperture settings etc.

When I bought my A70 there was not a lot of choice with digital cameras and I think at that time DSLR were still in their infancy. I was amazed at the choice now available in the way of DSLR’s and DSLR-like cameras.

I will probably be ordering a Panasonic FZ50 this weekend but the box will not be opened until Christmas! When I have more news I will let you know.
    Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year,
    Regards
    Richard

8. Alex1994

Have a good Christmas (which I'm sure you will with your new toy!), and Happy New Year!

Alex.