1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by zorba, Aug 12, 2020.

1. zorba

zorba Member

Just showing some courtesy and saying hello,wrong side of 50yrs old and recently picked up a Fuji hs20 exr with the hope of taking better pics ( I know it's not the camera per se).Been happy to just let the camera work on auto in the past bought want to try and use it's potential.Budget was part of the deciding factor for going for this camera due to me unable to work as I am a carer for my wife.Anyway I'll leave it there for now and go and ask a question about power banks in the right part of forum.
    Thanks.

Aliona Kuznetsova likes this.
  2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with this camera, so I looked it up on Fuji's website. If you don't have the original user manual, a pdf version can be downloaded there. It explains about its operation in fully manual, as well as aperture and shutter priority automation and the usual 'program' mode for point-and-shoot operation. You don't say if you've used a camera before, so I don't know what knowledge you may have about using one. If there is something in the manual that you don't understand, somebody here should be able to help.

The best way to learn what the camera can do is to use it a lot, and see what the manual says about different ways of using it.

https://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/products/digital-cameras/model/finepix-hs20exr

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Welcome along. :)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. Bridge cameras are a good way to start. I don’t know that one but Fuji have a good reputation.

5. zorba

zorba Member

Thanks for all the replies,I had a fuji 7000 before this and took decentish (to me ) pics but never really used it as anything other than point and shoot.I do have a manual for this one but thanks for the link anyway.I suppose I need to get better at the basics before trying to unleash this cameras potential.Anybody got pointers for a decent photography book that a beginner could learn from and hopefully would guide me up to the next level?

6. PeteRob

I'm boring on this subject but I think the old ones written for a film 35 mm cover photography well. It hasn't changed. What all the million buttons do on a modern camera (less so on a bridge maybe) is a different kettle of fish. Under current conditions browsing charity shops or the local library (last stocked in 1985) may not be so easy to do but look for "introduction to ... " type titles by John Hedgecoe who was fairly prolific. There is a lot of useful tutorial stuff on Cambridgeincolour which is a website.

The only real difference between a bridge photographically speaking is that the lens has a small actual focal length (they often report it as effective 35 mm focal length) so depth of field is more than you get with a 35 mm camera, all other things being equal.

Craig20264 likes this.
  7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hello Z.

PeteR has said it all.

s

8. zorba

zorba Member

ok fellas thanks for replies.

9. zorba

zorba Member

I've looked for books by John Hedgecoe but haven't managed to find any starting with 'An introduction to' but have managed to find three titled 'complete guide to photography' would this be a good place to start and if so which version?

[​IMG]

10. PeteRob

Sorry I didn’t mean to mislead. I couldn’t remember the title and can’t find my copy so I meant to indicate the genre rather than a specific book.

Edit after much googling.

The book I can’t find on my bookshelf is probably called John Hedgecoe’s introductory photography course (1979), the picture I found online of the cover looks vaguely familiar. I’d think the one you found is probably good. Wiki said he wrote over 30 books but I couldn’t find a list of them. I did find that many have been widely translated.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  11. zorba

zorba Member

Thanks for reply,just been experimenting will post pic in correct thread.