1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Trish20, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Trish20

Trish20 Member

Newly arrived and hoping to share my opinions on all things photography and just general gossip - not that I gossip myself of course :)

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Trish and welcome.

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Welcome along Trish. We do like a bit of gossip from time to time.

5. Trish20

Trish20 Member

Hello and thank you for the welcome :)

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've had a look at your profile, so know we won't get questions like 'what camera should I buy?' (always a fun one to try and answer).
    Welcome, and consider uploading some of your pictures to the Gallery so that we can see what subjects inspire you (resized to 800-1000 pixels on the longer edge).

7. Trish20

Trish20 Member

Hi Chester

I have been banned from buying any more cameras :)

I mostly take street photography. I will have to explore the gallery.

8. Chester AP

Perhaps you can get some secondhand lens bargains past security.
    Until I decided what I had was enough for my needs, this was my great weakness.

There is a common fallacy that buying new kit will enable you to take 'better' pictures. This may be relevant if you want to photograph black cats moving a great speeds in dark rooms, or take hundreds of almost identical images in a few seconds, but not if your subject are stationary or slow-moving and you have daylight. Whenever somebody puts a posting on the AP Forum about 'upgrading' their camera body, I usually ask 'what do you do with your images?'. If they are only ever viewed on a PC monitor or device with a smaller screen, who needs lots of megapixels? But if you want decent prints at 60, 75 or 90 cm wide then the megapixels are important. I have had decent 50 x 75 cm prints from a 10 megapixel half-frame (APS-C) DSLR, and better ones (with the same lens) from a 16 megapixel half-frame (APS-C) DSLR. But the difference is less dramatic than I expected, and suspect that a large print from a 10 megapixel body used with a good quality lens may be better than the same size print from a 16 megapixel body and a poor quality lens.

You will find a great of variety in the gallery. Some will inspire, some will amuse and some will make you wander why somebody thought that anybody else might want to see them. Many of mine may fall into the last group, but hopefully not all of them.

When somebody uses the term 'street photography', their images usually suggest they mean 'people outside in urban areas' rather than architectural images. Which are you?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  9. RavenstClaire

RavenstClaire Member

Welcome Trish, hope you enjoy, nice to see another girl on board

10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the madhouse, Trish, I think you'll find a fair few fellow Trip 35 lovers here (well, at least two, anyway!)

11. Trish20

Trish20 Member

I like taking my camera for a walk through the city and photographing the mix of old and new buildings as well as discovering the various sculptures. That is not to say that I do not like taking photos of people too though, I do. To be honest, I will photograph anything that appeals to me. :)

12. Trish20

Trish20 Member

Hello and thank you for the welcome :)

13. Trish20

Trish20 Member

Hello. I haven't used my film cameras for a long time but, if I were going to, it would be the Trip :)

14. Chester AP

I must admit that I've never been a 'street photography' person, but sometimes notice something that amuses me. This is one of my all-time favourites - it's so old that it's been scanned from a Kodachrome slide. Two 'classic' vehicles.

1995.10 MONTICCHIELLO 1000.jpg

Trish20 likes this.
  15. Trish20

Trish20 Member

Yes, I would have photographed that if I had seen it. I guess I mainly take street photography because that is what is readily available and I do like going out and never knowing what I will find.

I tried "upload a file" to insert an image but hasn't work. I probably need to resize it.

16. Chester AP

The advice is to resize to 800-1000 pixels on the longer side (mine was 1000). This also makes it unlikely that any bandits will download it and use it for calendars or posters.

17. Trish20

Trish20 Member

Thank you.

18. PeteRob

800 px. My browser is resizing your 1000 px to fit the window

19. PeteRob

Another one!

Hello Will,

You might find you get fewer greetings because you joined an existing post - usually on here it is better to start afresh with a new one.

Nevertheless a very warm welcome to you.

20. Trish20

Trish20 Member

Hello Will :)