1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello !

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Nick Edney, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Nick Edney

Nick Edney New Member

I'm new to the forum but am a long time reader of AP. Got the photography bug with a Zenith B in the early seventies and developed my own prints.
    Have always used Nikon SLRs but wanted to try mirrorless so dipped my toe in the water with a Fujifilm XT100. Its great but now drooling over a Nikon Z50. So, do I trade in the Fujifilm for one or keep it and wait a bit longer to get the Nikon as well?

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Welcome. I too started photography in the 70s, with a Zenit 3m. I've not tried mirrorless - my digital gear is a Canon 60D, and a G12. I do have a cabinet full of film cameras, though...

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. As many have found, Fuji hit the spot with their mirrorless cameras and the later ones especially get very close to DSLR handling. It is having good AF on the sensor that has closed the gap. With all shall I, shan’t I questions there is no universal answer. Retail therapy is as good a reason for buying something as any other, though it helps if you can afford it! I don’t know anything about Nikon. In the long term (5 years) I’ll probably get Canon mirrorless body because I have a significant investment in EF lenses. If I didn’t have then I’d probably build up my Fuji kit as the quality is good and the lenses less expensive than those from Canon although they don’t yet have a matching range.

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If I was starting now, and had the funds, I'd probably get a Fuji because of the shutter speed and aperture controls are where they should be, unlike most other manufacturers. So if tempted by the Nikon, make sure you have some 'hands-on' time before deciding. And if making the move, do so before buying any Fuji lenses. Also, will losing money on the Fuji (assuming you sell or PX it), and buying the Nikon, help you take better pictures? If you suspect the answer is 'no', you've saved a lot of money.