1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello there, Need Camera for F1 at Silverstone Dilemma??? Help

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by GuyverF1, Mar 4, 2012.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Re: Hello there, Need Camera for F1 at Silverstone Dilemma??? He

That's quite a nice shot. :)

Good old Praktica :D

Shows the focal length/shutter speed rule 50mm 1/60.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well the 55-250 can be bought for about £120 on ebay - you won't get anything like as good for the money, so if you can stretch to it, it'll be worth it. However, if you can't, then you can buy a cheap and nasty AF zoom (be careful with Sigma ones, many older ones won't actually work on a modern camera), or a golden oldie as suggested by BJB; the Olympus OM lenses are good, but there are other possibilities, some incredibly cheap - in general, the cheapest aren't that good, though, but I got a Praktica 200mm f3.5 for £11 on ebay last night. ;)

3. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

You will not get IS for that money. You maybe be able to pick up an old non IS 55-200mm for that sort of money. Look for Tamron Sigma ones too, just keep the shutter speed at 1/250 or faster.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-AF-55-200mm-F-4-5-6-Di-II-LD-MACRO-Canon-Fit-Model-A15E-/251006527846?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3a7127a966

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-55-200mm-F-4-5-5-6-II-USM-Mint-Free-UK-Special-Delivery-/130652784792?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item1e6b834898

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-55-200-mm-F-4-5-5-6-II-USM-Lens-UK-/290674282493?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item43ad898ffd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIGMA-55-200mm-F4-5-6-DC-ZOOM-LENS-CANON-450D-1100D-1000D-500D-550D-600D-60D-/230756098134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35ba22a056

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-55-200mm-Macro-lens-canon-camera-/251010207268?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item3a715fce24

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  4. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I guess you should have a look at the old Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 the non USM version. It was a rather cheap and light zoom and probably can be found used and/or new for around £100. Just remember to keep the shutter speed over 1/250 and you should be fine. Another bonus is that the 1100D is a 1x6 crop so you would have a good puling power with this lens.

6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

8. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

It is new, has warranty and you get what you pay for. Ok lens at a low price.
    The Links form rjbell look good as well, I did not see them while writing my last post.

9. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

It is difficult to understand what the problem is from that - the number of pixels on the sensor doesn't really tell me much.

But I can guess a little bit, with difficulty, from your second paragraph. If you are not panning and missing the shot, it could be that there is a long shutter lag. If you are panning though, it might not be the camera at all, but your panning technique.

I don't think you have properly analysed the problem so spending a lot of money on an slr and lenses might lead to disapointment.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

At that price, it's a poor lens - well worth an extra tenner or so for the vastly superior 55-250. It's performance is more on a par with the lenses in the other link, which are all significantly cheaper.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

^^^WHS^^^

Whatever kit you decide upon try and get some practise in first - find a spot where there is fast moving traffic (could be a motorway, a railway line, even a running track or whatever) and try every technique until you are confident that you can do it right - and it will not work first time.

Roger

12. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

Sorry my existing camera is a Fujifilm finepix a610 with 6.3 mp sorry.

I live near a railway line and a dual carriage way so plenty of stuff to practice on

13. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

14. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Looking at buy it now values for the same sort of lens I suspect down the line they will go outside the budget.

But one of them is very high f stop at the top end ie f6.3.

If the light goes down you will struggle to get shutter speed and clean noise free images. IMHO.

15. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

16. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

17. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

You mention that Praktica lens. The older Pentacon (manual stop down) pre-set F4 version actually covers 6x6 format and was renowned for sharpness when used on 35mm film cameras. Did my early motorsports SLR photography on that!

On an APS-C Canon 400D for example, it would provide a 300mm-ish f4 and would use even less of a sharp central area of a generous-sized lens element. I found a lot of motor sport photography was done at close to maximum aperture on the Pentacon on ISO 25 or 50 except in very sunny conditions, so the variable ISO on a modern DSLR would easily handle keeping it at a convenient f5.6 or f8, for example.

The pre-set could be flicked very quickly to stop the lens down even when doing sports photography. The lens could be left stopped at f5.6 anyway, leaving the OP to concentrate on framing.

:confused: IIRC, Pentacon did a similar version as a 300mm lens. Now that would be really useful, especially at a modern Silverstone where not only are you further away from the track but there is more junk - fencing, wires, etc. - in the way.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've got the 300mm Carl Zeiss Jena lens that comes with Pentacon 6, M42 and Praktica bayonet mounts. Rather a nice lens, but unlikely to be in this price range!

19. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Agreed!

Did a bit of fleaBay research:
    Canon 400d - £120
    Pentacon 200/4 - £30 {cheapest CI+cheapest on BiN offer - was staggered at other prices!}
    Adaptor takes it just over OP's original budget.

300mm - cheapest BiN - £150! Am not surprised, rarity value on one hand, but ... did they ever reach that when available new? They were probably going for sixpence before the mFTs/CSCs came on the scene.

PS: Brings back memories of golf photographer, Bert Neale, whose pro outfit was based around a Pentacon Six of some considerable vintage and the 180 and 300mm lenses and a black Kangol beret, long before they (Kangol) became fashion items. :)

Another option for the OP might be to consider an Olympus DSLR. Ideal would be E-520 but would consume all of budget for body alone. An E-500 might be available for £150 with a 14-42 on a good day, downhill with the wind behind, :) ... but ... a 70-300mm zoom would be another £220ish on top. :( However, having the E-500 body+std zm to familiarise/practise with, it is possible to hire Olympus kit from Olympus UK, especially if you join the Olympus Club. Just a thought. :confused:;)

A 140-600mm (35mm equiv.) zoom is just about right for Silverstone.

20. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

Hello sorry to ask but does anyone have any views on the lenses i posted from eBay so i an start bidding i have decided to go up to £80

I have already decided on the Camera it is a Canon Eos 1100D

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012