1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello there, Need Camera for F1 at Silverstone Dilemma??? Help

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by GuyverF1, Mar 4, 2012.

1. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

Hi there very new here and looking for advice.

I have been a Motorsport fan for many years and this year i will be attending the British F1 GP the last 2 years we have been to silverstone to the Renault world series but this is my first F1 GP and i would like to get a better camera.

I am divided between 2 options.
    u
    1 is to get a 2nd hand Eos 350D or 400D from eBay for about £130-160 then get a 2nd hand Tamron 70-300mm AF lens for about £40-50.

2 is to get a new Eos 1100D from a catalog and then the lens from eBay.

Would really appreciate any advice or guidance

Thank You in advance

Lee

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

Re: Hello there, Need Camera for F1 at Silverstone Dilemma??? He

Good glass is far more important than the box you mount it on...

Spend more on the lens and the Image Quality will be better.

If this is a one off, consider the hire of kit !

Have fun :cool:

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Never mind anything else...when is this and how much practice can you get in beforehand? There are loads of people here who can give you some useful tips but have you some experience of shooting at these things?

Oh and yes- glass rules everytime

4. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

The GP is in july so 4 months from now so if i get a camera is this enough time

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

You say better camera. What do you use at the moment?

Looking at the specs the 1100D seems a better camera than the 400D.

They are both classed as entry level dSLR.

Is it because of price you are only looking at Canon?

6. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Good advice.... do you know how to pan? Are you able to get closer to the cars? So much to do, so much to learn. Hopefully good kit will spur you on to learn and get good at it, but I wouldn't hold my breath for your first efforts :)

7. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

All i have atm is a 6mp compact and a 10mp compact which where struggling with the lower formula cars at the Renault world series

8. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

This was my last piece of advice to you on the What Digital Camera forums which you did not respond to Clicky

Hi, I think I would try and go for the Canon 550D which has dropped in price. Have a look at the comparison here Clicky and read the reviews on both.

I would want the hi-res LCD at 1,040,000 dots phew!!!! Larger screen, Spot metering and 18.0 megapixels sensor, so I could have more crop room for those long shots...

My experience with canon SLR cameras ended with the EOS 5 with Eye Controlled Focus!!!! Wow - I would have slept with it, had the wife let me lol - changed to digital compacts due to my health and unable to carry all my lenses etc...

Don't forget, post processing is an important part of photography and should be used to sharpen and enhance pictures taken with any camera. If you don't have an imaging editor, then use the one in my signature below. There are 32 video tutorials to get you started. The most useful is the Adjusting levels and for the advanced user. The Curves tool is a must - it's my favourite all-in-one adjuster :cool:

Cheers

9. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

At first we were toying with the idea of a Bridge Camera but was told not much better than compact at speed

10. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

the forum deleted my account and i cannot go back on for some reason

11. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Well I hope your stay here is more succesful than there :)

12. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Fix it for me

Ah, well, if you contact The Fat Controller on here. He will fix it for you at WDC :D

13. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

Yes our budget was originally £150 as we were considering a Bridge camera a Fuji Finepix s4000HD but were told that would not be good enough

So now looking at DSLR and canon seem to be best bang for buck

14. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

The speeds not the problem it's LIGHT on the small sensor. You should pan with any camera to show movement :)

15. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

It's good enough in GOOD light... however, the DSLR is the better route in the end.

16. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I would say canon along with nikon are the least bag for your buck, they hold the price better then other brands. I would look at an old Sony alpha or a Pentax with in built stabilisation. Your asking for the demanding side of photography for a camera, fast autofocus, good iso performance, £150 is no budget at all.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  17. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Where are you sitting? Try to get a spot close to a slow corner, consentrait on a good lens. You might want to rent one as fast and long lenses are expensive. It makes sense to go for high pixelcount and crop the pictures.

18. GuyverF1

GuyverF1 Active Member

We have General Admission tickets so we can sit wherever we want within reason around the track so will try t get high on hill close to track

19. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

20. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Looking on a certain auction site a 500D is above the budget.

It looks like you have a budget of say £200 now. Or is it now more?

I have done action photography using a bridge camera but a highend second hand bridge camera with manual zoom.

[​IMG]

But if you can work out the budget for a dSLR and you don't mind carrying it then it will give you more options.

Mind you my friend gets abit annoyed as I get shots as good as his on a bridge when he lugs a Canon 400D + 300mm lens around. :)