1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Hello there...I'm new!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Kim81, May 14, 2020.

1. Kim81

Kim81 New Member

Good evening everyone, I am new to the forum (just signed up this evening) and I am very interested in Photography. I wish I had done the courses through school, gone to college etc and taken it up professionally but sadly my academic enthusiasm was lacking so I just did what I had to do and got an admin job straight after my GCSE's...but I am constantly snapping away on my phone and what with our current sad situation with lockdown etc I want to try and take it up as a hobby at least...anyway, sorry for rambling and thanks for reading...looking forward to getting to know people and hopefully broaden my horizons for the future! Kim. x

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Kim

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Kim, welcome. You probably made a good decision to keep photography for fun. Making a living off of it is very difficult these days.

4. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Welcome.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

+1; welcome

7. Kim81

Kim81 New Member

Thank you all!

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If you ever want to explore the hobby beyond what you can do with your phone, and think about a camera, you'll probably be confused by the choice available. So ask here for advice before spending money, and meanwhile if you have taken any pictures you want to share, consider uploading some to the gallery page. You will have to resize them (I think the suggested size is 1000-1200 pixels on the longer edge) - full size files may take a while to upload and are also ideal for bandits who may steal them for their own use.

Have fun.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

800 pixels is preferred as this shows exactly on most devices and needs no compression to reduce file size. Larger images (more pixels) will likely get downsized by the browser to fit the window width and may need compressing which degrades image quality.