1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, Newbie to the forum.

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by ga-rat, Aug 12, 2011.

1. ga-rat

ga-rat Member

Hello all, I am a 34 year old who has been using an SLR since my teens when I got interested and took a GCSE in photography, I saved my pennies and bought a Praktica BMS Electronic which i still have today, I bought it with three lenses, 28mm, 50mm, 70-210mm, you really cant beat a fully manual SLR to learn photography.
    I am currently using a Sony Alpha 100 which I bought new not long after its release (a good few years ago now), I have been really pleased with the results, I took the Sony route as I had been using the Minolta Dynax film SLR and Sony had bought Konica Minolta.

I enjoy taking photo's of many subjects, anything from Landscapes, building/architecture, my kids and pets, I also like using slow shutter speeds with tripod and remote release (not everyones taste, a bit like marmite):rolleyes:, I do like light trails and smooth water effects.:eek:

I am going to be asking advice about different lenses for the sony, I will put a post in the relevant section.

Thanks for having me on the forum!!! I look forward to hearing comments/advice from you all, I am always trying to learn to improve my photography.

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Hello back. :)

Do you still shoot film or it is the A100 these days?

I'm totally digital now.

Used to shoot slide about 8+ years ago.

Now they have killed off Kodachrome I would not go back.

Roger Provins on here is a Sony users so knows alot about their cameras I believe.

3. ga-rat

ga-rat Member

Hi
    I do just use digital now, I was one of those people that held onto film as long as possible, I used to used slide film as well but most of my photo's were taken on Agfa Ultra, I loved the vibrant colours.

I thought I always had a good argument not to go digital, at the time the Canon EOS 300d came out I had a BENQ SCSI film/slide scanner, the resolution I got from this was far greater than that produced by affordable DSLR's.

I do have a couple of really old film cameras (older than my Praktica) that used to be my wifes grandads, an old kodak and an old voigtlander, I had thought I would like to put a film through these at some point but never did any serious investigating into what films they need.:confused: Good for a post one day.

I did get into photoshop for a bit experimenting a lot or a little while but only for a bit of fun, I only every really used the Mac for adjusting sharpness, saturation, brightness and cropping from RAW files. I am a great believer that all the work should be done correctly from the camera, I still use a couple of Cokin P ND filters mainly to cut light out to allow me to use slow shutter speeds.

The one thing digital has done to me is that it's made me lazy, I don't get many pictures printed, I usually plug my camera into the PS3 to view the photo's on a HD tv then I just move them onto the Mac, I have had photo's printed onto canvas/ mugs for gifts for my kids grandparents. Nothing beats having a handful of photo's and then passing them round for all to see..... must get some developed soon.:p

4. laj

laj Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome

I have hundreds of photos in the loft, but now I transfer everything onto disc to store away. I have got loads of photos up around the house which are a focal point for vistors.

Love Laura

5. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi,

welcome aboard. :)