1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello movie here

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by gavin caventer, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Hello I'm Gav I signed up a while a go but nether interacted with the form. After some research I've decided to buy a DSLR camera, I've be looking at buying a used canon Eos 450D is this a good camera thanks in advance.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi, there are few "bad" cameras. The main questions are a) does it do what you want? and b) does it feel comfortable to use. For a), as you've not owned a camera before, there is an argument in favour of buying a very cheap old one in order to find out.

The 40D was launched 12 years ago, which is ages in digital camera terms, and technology has moved on a lot since then. In practical terms check the memory card capacity before you splash out on the latest chip. I bought my first digital camera in 2007 and it only took 4 GB cards (increased to 8 GB with a firmware upgrade). Now 4GB was "huge" in 2007, today you might struggle to find one that small.

As for b) that's personal choice. The main manufacturers tend to release competing models, technically not so disimilar, at a point in time. It is the fact that people have different tastes on size, weight, viewfinder information, button placement, sensitivity of buttons .... and so on for ever ... that there is a market for each "similar" camera. Once you settle on a brand then buy some lenses, you are likely to buy that brand again. That's the business model they operate.

As far as I recall the 40D was well regarded. It is old so s/h cameras will have been well used. Prepare to grow out of it and don't spend a lot of money, it will not be economic to repair. I'd stick with Canon lenses. There are compatibility issues with third party lenses and you don't want to find that any s/h lenses you buy won't work in the future when you get a newer camera.

peterba likes this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree with all your comments here, Pete, but would point out that the OP refered to the 450D, rather than the 40D. :)

4. PeteRob

Ha, too early in the morning obviously! I think everything still applies - google says the 450D came out in 2008! By Canon naming convention it would have possibly been a budget follow up to the 40D but I haven't read the Canon story!

peterba likes this.
  5. Hello thinks for the advice the camera I'm looking at has just under 7000 shutter count and will take a 32gb HDHC card, I was looking at this camera as it gets me started in photography thanks again

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Is the 450D the most recent model you can get within your budget? If yes, buy it and begin experimenting.
    Also make sure you get the battery charger, user manual and lead for downloading files from the camera body to your PC.

The only warning is that you should try to handle it before purchase to see if it fits your hands. This might sound strange, but it's expensive to buy a camera body you later don't like using.

I assume it will come with its original 18-55 mm 'kit' lens. If so, don't consider spending any more money on other stuff (apart perhaps from a spare battery) until you've learned how to get the best from it - which may take a while. And don't forget that the user manual is there to help you, and if something in it doesn't make sense somebody here can explain.

7. PeteRob

8. Hey guys thanks for all the advice

9. And at some point the the future I can always upgrade the camera

10. In the end I found a Nikon d3500 so I've ordered