1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Hello from Hertfordshire

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Jerry1, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

Great to be part of this community and see some really good photography!

I used to go everywhere with a camera around my neck looking for pictures. With a busy work life and family I've done less in more recent years.

I used to work in a darkroom dealing with professional photographers and more recently as a retoucher, which means I spend more time looking at other peoples good photography than getting out there and doing it myself. I'm not worlds best photographer, but definitely looking to improve.

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, Jerry, and welcome to the AP forums!

Looks like you've already discovered the Appraisal Gallery, which is a great place to learn. Perhaps sometime you'll want to post one of your own pictures, so we can make direct critique & suggestions. Also, do feel free to ask questions.

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Frankly, with a background like that, you're bound to be able to see what you want to record and know how to make it happen, especially with a digital camera to take the load off. I shall be expecting great stuff from you, certainly better than my sort of hack work...

[​IMG]

4. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

Thanks for the welcome.

Sejanus, I suppose I've followed a few good photographers around, and they often see shots that I haven't. I can see they're good shots afterwards, but don't always see it before.

I like landscape photography because you get time to think about what you're doing and plan the shot. If it's action shots I usually see them too late, or sometimes capture something good by accident.

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Not always true in my experience. Sometime the light changes fast and the clouds move bl**dy quick! :)

Luck always helps... :)