1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Essex (Saffron Walden)

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by mark993, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mark993

mark993 New Member

Hi everyone hows it going just got my first dslr (canon 1100D) having some trouble deciding what to photograph.
    Anyone in the area got any ideas where is good?

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, you're a bit short of scenery (though I believe there's a hill fort at one end of the Audley End estate in Littlebury) but I'm sure the Old Sun Inn could provide some inspiration if you like mood and clutter, or the cellars opposite where the furniture seller is (name escapes me - sorry!). Historic places - you've got a flamin' great church with cute almshouses, there's Wendens Ambo, Duxford, various cute villages, Audley End, Thaxted... The forum's own Clodhopper is good at big sky areas, which could be a source of inspiration for you - have a look at http://www.overlookedimages.com/. You've got a market that would be good for street stuff.

Edit - have a look here. If anyone can find landscapes in East Anglia... http://www.redbubble.com/groups/eastern-england It's also not a bad bit of the country for those isolated tree shots, or seagulls following tractors ploughing.

Don't forget to get out at dawn and dusk if the weather is fit - light at those times can lift dull scenes like you wouldn't believe. Don't worry about sun rises and sets, just see what the light is illuminating - and those big skies can make wonderful cloudscapes (in the unlikely event of the weather not being shi'ite). Don't forget to show us what you try!

Any help?

Adrian

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,

welcome to the forum - I think you're spoilt for choice there ! :)

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome :)

I live in Essex. But I think where ever you live it is a matter of looking and visiting places at the right time of day.

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Someone has to!

It's a pity the coast is so far from Walden - it all faces East, so you need to be there for dawn... though Damien is an Essex coast boy, isn't he? There's a link to his portfolio somewhere, which might be worth looking at for inspiration. There's also someone calling themselves "Hugh of Bardfield" on Flickr who has some really nice North Essex stuff.

Adrian

P.S. Bit further away, but howsabout Castle and Sible Hedingham? Finchingfield is close too - the challenge is to take different photos of the place without the classic view that is always spoilt by being full of cars and gawpers. Bu**er - if only I was able to take advantage of all these ideas! :-(

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. mark993

mark993 New Member

Thanks everyone they are some great suggestions i will have to try and get out ( bit hard we just had our first child and very demanding lol).

I just have to say tho i am not an essex boy I am from Northern Ireland and live here for work. Not that there is anything thing wrong with being an essex lad well... :p